Flick loses nothing in DVD 'Translation'

Murray steals the show in 'Lost in Translation'

Nominated for four Academy Awards and winner of the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy), Best Actor (Musical or Comedy) and Best Screenplay, "Lost in Translation" has generated a lot of buzz lately, and it does not disappoint. \nThis bittersweet film details the relationship between Bob Harris (a quintessentially comical yet world-weary Bill Murray) and Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson), as they each battle jetlag-motivated sleeplessness in an upscale Tokyo hotel. Bob, a middle-aged movie star, is in Tokyo half-heartedly shooting whiskey endorsements. Charlotte spends her days and evenings confined in the hotel room, while her hotshot photographer husband (Giovanni Ribisi) spends every waking moment working. Lonely and bored, Bob and Charlotte find companionship in each other. Their relationship poignantly portrays the instant and intense intimacy that develops between lonely travelers in a strange country who will never meet again in their ordinary lives.\nMurray basically makes the film with his performance. He brings a perfect mix of humor and sadness to his role, making him thoroughly endearing as an aging action star singing karaoke in an orange camouflage t-shirt.\n"Lost in Translation" is aesthetically beautiful, with lush garden scenes sharply contrasting cityscapes emphasizing Bob and Charlotte's loneliness. Many of the most memorable scenes, however, come from the characters' exploration of Tokyo, from karaoke bars to arcades.\nSpecial features on the DVD include a home video-like behind-the-scenes documentary (made very entertaining by Murray's antics), an interview with Murray and Coppola, a music video and some deleted scenes, including Bob Harris' extended appearance on a wacky Japanese talk show. If you missed it in theaters, the "Lost in Translation" DVD is well worth checking out.