Community kitchen hosts local Valentine's show

Legendary jazz musician leads band to serenade sweethearts for concert

Al Cobine will lead his 15-piece big band in serenading Valentine's Day sweethearts tonight at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The theater has been rented out by Bloomington's Community Kitchen, a local organization which has been feeding Monroe County's hungry since 1983. Proceeds from the benefit concert will largely go to the Community Kitchen, whose funding comes mostly from private donations. \nThe concert is a first as a Community Kitchen fundraising event, due to a generous donation given by Rosanna Lester, marketing director for CFC, Inc., a local real estate developer. Lester won the use of the theater for one night in a raffle contest and donated the night to the Community Kitchen, a nearly $600 value.\n"Al Cobine is such a legend, the romantic jazz music will be superbly done," said Community Kitchen board member Margaret Radke. \nRadke encourages people of all ages to attend the event, as many professors will be involved in the production. Performing faculty from the School of Music will include Mike Lucas on piano, Dominic Spera and Joey Tartell on trumpet and Deno Sanders on drums.\nBloomingfoods Café will be serving wine, beer and snacks throughout the evening. They will be donating much of the proceeds to the Community Kitchen. In addition to the music and dance, there will be a raffle with prizes ranging from a complementary night at Scholar's Inn Bed and Breakfast to an Oliver Winery gift basket.\n"One of the missions of the theater is to be accessible to all community groups," said Suzannae Strick, marketing director at the Buskirk-Chumley. "We love having community events, as well as large scale shows." \nThe Community Kitchen serves nearly 400 meals everyday in Bloomington and an additional 200 meals feeding local needy children during the summer. The kitchen is staffed with a social worker and approximately 10 volunteers throughout the day, but is always welcoming more volunteers to join the staff.\n"Both Community Kitchen locations are anonymous, anyone can come and get a meal. We offer easy access," Community Kitchen Director Tim Clougher said. \nHunger is a growing concern in Monroe County, as 30 percent of children apply for free lunches during the school day, Clougher said. \n"Maybe they're not homeless, but mentally, they are disabled," Radke said. \nTickets for the Al Cobine Big Band benefit concert can be purchased for $10 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. The concert begins at 8 p.m. For more information, contact the Buskirk-Chumley Theater at 323-3020 or visit www.buskirkchumley.org.