Whoa, Nelly -- Furtado delivers eclectic blend

It's obvious when listening to Nelly Furtado that her musical experience has varied. The 24-year-old Portuguese-Canadian features a wide range of musical flavors on her second album Folklore.\nSome of the songs utilize instruments like the mandolin and various percussion toys for an eastern ethnic feeling. Others use a dulcimer and a banjo, giving it an American folk flair. Still others are your basic dance-pop tunes or folksy crooning, featuring little more than acoustic guitar. \nPerhaps the best, however, is "Island of Wonder," featuring Caetano Veloso. With instruments like finger cymbals, congas and vibes, and Portuguese shout outs, the song delivers a wonderful slow Latin groove. Despite the various styles of music, Furtado's voice complements each one beautifully.\nStill, there are flaws. The lyrics, for example, sometimes border on pretentious bad poetry, attempting to sound thoughtful and reflective. Perhaps the most obnoxious example of this phenomenon is "Childhood Dreams:" "I have been bruised by many trails/ sometimes my skin's so thick it's free … I'm sliding on the rainbows of my childhood dreams." \nThough there are some songs with lyrics that are effective, such as "Fresh Off the Boat", about half the songs need some help, despite their beautiful and interesting music.