Personalizing holiday gifts

So you think gift wrap is just the pesky intermediary between you and what you want? Think again! With a little creativity, you can make a gift something really special for the person receiving it.

Materials and tips\n• First, you're going to need wrapping paper, ribbon, tape and scissors for any basic wrapping job. For more creative supplies, try puffy paints, fake flowers and stickers.\n• One of the most important things you can have is a glue gun. It is great for gluing on little personal touches such as fake poinsettias for a holiday package.

Places to go around town\n• So where do you get good supplies? One of the best places to go is Hobby Lobby at 1275 S. College Mall Rd. Even the least imaginative of you will come up with something there. From scrapbooks to model cars, this store has it all.\n• Another place to shop is Michael's, 120 N. Gates Drive. It is the best place for fake flowers, boxes and puffy paints.\n• Wal-Mart, 3201 W. SR 45, is a good standby for craft supplies. It has a smaller selection, but you can get all the basics there.\n• Greetings, 2654 E. Third St., has unique bags and wrapping paper.

How to wrap a Christmas tree-shaped package\n1. You need four to five rectangular or square-shaped packages. The smallest one should be on top, but set aside the second-smallest one. Also, you will need green and brown wrapping paper, tape, a glue gun, garland, a star and some small ornaments.\n2. Wrap all but the second-smallest package in green wrapping paper. The second-smallest package will be the trunk, so wrap it in brown packing paper. If you want it to be inexpensive, wrap it in a grocery sack.\n3. Stack the boxes on top of one another, going from largest to smallest. Then put the small brown box underneath those for the trunk. Secure the boxes with hot glue so they stay in place.\n4. Wrap the garland around the green part of the tree and secure it with tape. Then take your ornaments and hang them from the garland. Last, hot glue the star to the top of the package.

Inexpensive last-resort gift ideas \n• You can stuff just about anything in gift bags of any size. There is a wide selection at The Dollar Tree, 2614 E. Third St. \n• Using the newspaper sounds corny and overdone, but not if you personalize it. Use any part of the paper and circle parts or words that would mean something to the receiver.\n• To make a gift bag more special, attach a gift tag. If you don't want to spend money on gift tags, find some old cards from last holiday season and cut the design part of it. Use a hole punch and ribbon or dental floss in an emergency to attach it.\nFor more information about gift wrapping, visit: pressroom.americangreetings.com/ Holidays03/GiftWrapping03.html and www.ciwmb.ca.gov/publiced/holidays/\nNoWaste.htm.