Online role-playing game releases for PC

Fans of the Final Fantasy series are amidst turbulent times. After 10 bestselling games, Square Enix has done the unfathomable, disrupting the classic Final Fantasy formula by making Fantasy XI a massively multiplayer, online role playing game.\nEssentially, this means that rather than venturing a party of characters through a thick and heavily narrated plot, leveling up characters in order to defeat bosses and progress through the story, now players must venture their character through an arid desert of a plot, defeating enemies with a party of characters controlled by other players in an unending quest to level up their characters just for the sake of achieving some distorted sense of self-accomplishment and being able to hold bragging rights over the other geeks online. Oh, and you get to pay $12 a month.\nHowever, as difficult to believe as it may be, this can actually be pretty darn fun. Unlike similar games, FFXI has good graphics and sound and is not impossibly complicated or bogged down by repetitive boring tasks such as required eating or retrieving your equipment after dying. Final Fantasy fans scared of subscription-based games, but longing to try them out may find this as a golden opportunity, and the first month is free.