First edition Potter books sell big

NEW YORK -- Four first edition copies of Harry Potter books inscribed by author J.K. Rowling to her father have been sold for nearly $90,000.\nThe highest bid of $48,000 at Wednesday's auction went for the fourth book in the fantasy series, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."\nThe books were among seven first edition presentation copies that the author inscribed to her father, Peter J. Rowling, who consigned them to Sotheby's fine books and manuscripts sale. The other three copies did not sell, said Kristin Gelder, a spokeswoman for the auction house. None of the buyers were identified.\nSotheby declined to say why Rowling decided to sell the books. There was no immediate comment from the author and no immediate response to a message left with her agent after business hours in London.\nThe first edition dedication copy of "Goblet of Fire," complete with a handwritten note about the character Ron Weasley, had been estimated to sell for between $50,000 to $75,000.\nA first edition presentation copy, inscribed by the author to her father and stepmother, of "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" -- the third book in the seven-book series - sold for $19,200. Its pre-sale estimate was $20,000 to $30,000.\nOn the facing page of that book, Rowling has circled the numeral one, indicating a first printing, and written, with a pointing arrow, "Guard it with your lives!!!"\nA first edition presentation copy of the second book in the series, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets," sold for $10,800. And a first paperback edition presentation copy of the first book, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" brought $9,600. The book was released in the United States as "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." Both novels are inscribed by the author to her father and stepmother and had pre-sale estimates of $10,000 to $15,000.