Young team bolstered by ranked recruiting class

Hoosiers keep youth trend going by adding five freshmen

For the first time in the IU women's basketball program's history, the Hoosier coaching staff was able to recruit a nationally-ranked freshman class.\nCoupled with an already young roster that has only two juniors and one senior (who is not expected to return due to an ACL injury), the Hoosiers could have a bright future, said IU coach Kathi Bennett.\n"I think our young players are very talented, and they're going to get better," Bennett said. "Then we get back some of the key people that we have that got hurt."\nFreshmen Annika Boyd, Jamey Chapman, Leah Enterline, Sarah McKay and Carrie Smith should aid in providing the light to such a bright future.\nChapman, a 6-foot-3-inch freshman, is expected to produce immediately and could be jockeying for a starting position as Bennett works to finalize her roster.\n"We are extremely excited about Jamey," Bennett said in a press release. "She's got good touch around the rim and could challenge for a starting spot."\nChapman is also used to winning, as she led her high school team to a 21-3 campaign during her senior season, earning her a spot on the Nebraska Senior All-Star team, averaging 16.3 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2 blocks per game.\nChapman isn't the only freshman bringing height to the table. McKay, a 6-foot-7-inch center from Canada brings size and a will to learn to the Hoosier basketball court. McKay, a top-40 freshman, commands attention from IU opponents with her size and all-around ability. \nIndiana natives Smith and Enterline also provide talent for Bennett to mold. Smith, a 6-foot-1-inch forward, was selected for the Indianapolis Star 2003 Indiana All-Star team and was a Region Roundball Review Super Senior Top 25 selection. In addition to her past accolades, Smith also brings other things to the IU locker room.\n"Carrie brings the intangibles," Bennett said. "She's a great competitor who hates to lose. She can do a lot of different things and is a very skilled player."\nEnterline should also be an instant performer for the Hoosiers as she brings great numbers to the IU roster. As a senior, the 5-foot-9-inch guard averaged 22.9 points, 8.9 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 5.3 steals per game.\nBoyd is another guard that should provide depth to an already talented roster on the wing. Boyd, a prolific three-point shooter, averaged 13.5 points, 6.1 rebounds, 2.6 steals and 2.3 assists per game in her senior season.\nHigh school accolades aside, the NCAA is a completely different game and the players have said the transition is difficult.\n"It was such a huge transition," Enterline said. "I just never really noticed how much easier it was than high school because you didn't have to work nearly as hard to get open and on defense. Here you have to give 150 percent every minute, every practice."\nWith 10 players between the freshman and sophomore classes, the IU women's basketball team will remain largely intact for the next two seasons.\n"(Such youth) is exciting, in three years, playing together and in the next two or three years," Chapman said. "We're going to be really close on the court and off the court."\nEven if the team doesn't meet its expectations this year, they have plenty of years ahead.\n"Being so young, we're going to be together for a few years here," Enterline said. "With experience, we're going to keep building, and we're going to make strides this year, but I definitely think we have a lot of depth to the team and that's going to help as the season progresses."\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Patrick at djpatric@indiana.edu.