Party all night long

You could hear the music from blocks away.\nIt played for 36 straight hours without any hesitation. Everyone was on their feet, doing their best not to let exhaustion set in.\nFor the participants of Dance Marathon this weekend, it wasn't hard to stay focused. \n"Every now and then I caught myself getting sleepy," dancer and sophomore Annie Place said. "But after a little caffeine and a good meal, I was ready to go."\nMembers at this year's event raised more than $400,000, the second year in a row they accomplished the feat. All proceeds of the fund-raiser go to support the everyday functions of the Ryan White Infectious Disease Center at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis.\nDance Marathon, in its 13th year at IU, took place from 8 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Sunday at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation. All participants were up dancing, playing games and interacting with the Riley kids.\nFor those involved with Dance Marathon, the No. 1 priority is helping the children of Riley.\n"We work hard because it's for these kids," morale committee member and junior Amanda Balanoff said. "The more money we raise, the more we can do to help them."\nThere were plenty of activities for everyone at the event. Participants played basketball, ping-pong, four-square and football throughout the days and nights. Fifteen different bands performed and many were there to make speeches.\nJust when it seemed like nothing was happening and spirits were faltering, something special would happen. Cheers erupted and participants gathered by the stage. A Riley patient and family would then burst through the crowd and up onto stage.\nThe Vises, of Yorktown, Ind., were one family who took the stage to tell their story of how Riley and Dance Marathon have touched their lives. Accompanied by her husband and three children, Jenni Vise told of how her son, Alex, faced a life threatening lung disorder at a young age. After treatment at Riley, Alex is now healthy and enjoying the third grade. \n"We love coming to Dance Marathon every year," Jenni Vise said. "You all mean so much to us and are a reason why we have such an amazing story."\nThe marathon's participants said the stories told by Riley families were meaningful to them.\n"When I hear what (Riley patients) have gone through it really makes me think," Place said. "I'm just glad I have the opportunity to help."\nThere was much to do for the Riley patients and their families that came to support the dancers. While the kids weren't with their parents or playing with one another, they were interacting with students.\nSaturday morning there was a special trick-or-treat session for the kids. The top 30 fund-raisers stood around the gym to pass out candy. This year, two of the participants each raised more than $2,500.\n"It's really a way for the kids to meet some of the members," fund-raising director and senior Rachel Auerbach said. "All of (the members) put in a lot of time and effort to raise money."\nWith the exception of the early morning hours, the visiting area at the HPER was crowded with IU students and staff to show their support.\nDance Marathon weekend is not the only time for members to interact with Riley kids. Participants had several opportunities to travel to the hospital in Indianapolis in order to meet the children and doctors and take tours of the hospital.\n"It's a great experience because it gives the dancers a chance to see where their time and effort goes," vice president of development and senior McKay Freed-Brown said.\nWhile the main event takes place over one weekend, there is much more time and effort that goes into the planning of Dance Marathon. Each member has to raise a minimum of $200 to qualify for the weekend.\nExecutive and committee members put in countless hours trying to ensure a successful weekend. \n"Each of the executive committee members could spend their days just working on Dance Marathon," president and senior Stacy England said. "This is a full-time job, but we love it and wouldn't change it for the world."\nWhile this year's Dance Marathon just ended, planning for next year's will begin soon.\n"It's truly a year-long process," Freed-Brown said. "But we do it to help these kids get the treatment they need."\n-- Contact staff writer Alex Pappas at aspappas@indiana.edu.