Feminist choir to hold house concert

Show first of its kind for local group

A local singing group called the Bloomington Feminist Singers will perform at 7 p.m. tonight at 928 S. Ballantine, the home of one of the group's members. \n"The arts are vital to the community, said Rebecca Keith, the group's director. "There are many classical choral and instrumental groups in town. The Bloomington Feminist Singers is an amateur, non-audition, feminist organization. It's a different niche than many other groups serve."\nThe BFS was founded about 15 years ago, Keith said. She also said the group's membership has ranged from as many as 40 chorus members to as few as six. Keith was involved as a singer herself for three years before becoming the director.\n"The mission of the group is to provide singing opportunities for feminist women in the Bloomington community," Keith said.\nCindy Moore is a new group member this year, and was sought after by Keith because of what Moore calls her "low alto voice."\nMoore said singing is a favorite pastime of hers because it serves as a release from a stressful day of work as an academic advisor.\nThe house concert tonight will showcase choral pieces Keith said the group has worked on since this September. But this isn't the only event the BFS has participated in this fall.\nEarlier this fall, the group sang at "Take Back the Night" with what group composer Emily Williams called "protest songs." Williams, a member of the group for five years, said she tried to write material for the group that related to the event where the group was performing.\nWilliams said the repertoire at this event included a song called "Take Back the Night," which included several verses dedicated to various issues Williams said were important to women. Williams said the issues included a living wage, rape and other themes related to personal safety.\nAt tonight's house concert, the first one Keith said she can remember ever happening during her involvement with the group, will feature about eight pieces the group has been rehearsing, including one called "Fall," also composed by Williams.\nWilliams said "Fall" talks about a tribute to the season through a fable of Greek mythology.\nKeith said tonight's show is the last performance of the year and the new season begins with rehearsals on Jan. 18 with a warm welcome for new members.\nFor information on joining the BFS, e-mail Rebecca Keith at rkeith@alumni.indiana.edu, or call 824-2670.\n-- Contact staff writer Brandon Morley at bmorley@indiana.edu.