Davis: Chemistry key difference from last year's team

There's one thing that won't be getting in the way of a good season for the men's basketball team: team chemistry.\n"Last year you could see it on the court," freshman guard Roderick Wilmont said. "Everybody wanted to be the superstar and shot the ball. This year everybody has to do their part."\nSenior guard A.J. Moye said, with no disrespect to anyone on last year's team, he noticed the lack of team leadership in the 2002-2003 season.\nMoye said he is satisfied in taking the position IU coach Mike Davis trusts him to have when he leads the team.\n"(Moye) keeps the lines of communication open," Davis said. "The team chemistry is just unbelievable right now."\nDavis says the difference in this year's team is how vocal the players are. While senior center George Leach is quiet, like former players Kyle Hornsby and Jeff Newton, Davis said players like Moye and Wilmont are always talking.\n"This year, with Wilmont and Moye being outspoken and playing with energy, they can be contagious," Davis said.\nThe team says they have noticed the better chemistry this season, but junior forward Mike Roberts said they can't fully rely on the chemistry they share.\n"We're getting along fine, but the test is going to be how we respond when we go through a little adversity," Roberts said. "I think right now everything is good, but we will have tough times and we'll see how we respond."\nFreshman forward Patrick Ewing Jr. said the team is like a big family and they don't only spend time together at practice, but off the court as well.\nEwing also said he noticed a difference in chemistry coming from a high school team to a college team. He said the chemistry is better in college because of the experience on the team.\n"The guys are just closer and the camaraderie is there," Moye said. "Everything we do now is team-oriented."\nWright said he also sees a difference this year in team attitude and chemistry compared to last year.\n"To get this team to the Final Four we have to just have fun," sophomore guard Bracey Wright said. "Play hard together and just compete."\nLeach has been around the team for four years now, having redshirted his freshman year. He's seen players come and go and says the way the team has meshed this year is great.\n"We've really become a family," Leach said. "We are growing together instead of apart."\n-- Contact staff writer Natalie A. Trout at natrout@indiana.edu.