Dancers get 'spiritual' at Buskirk

Company focuses on experiences, history of African diaspora

In a whirlwind of emotion, the dancers of the African American Dance Company are eager to express the historic and holistic nature of their performance. The company rehearsed this week for its Saturday performance of "Spiritual Suite." The AADC is a course offered through the African American and African Diaspora Studies, and interested students have to audition to be authorized for the course and accepted into the company.\nThe AADC is one of three performing ensembles in the African American Arts Institute. The class consists of students of all races and ages -- from freshmen to graduate students. \nChoreographer and director Iris Rosa focuses on the experiences of African Americans and the African diaspora tradition in directing her dancers. Choreographed in 1976, "Spiritual Suite" is a mix of contemporary music and movement with an Afrocentric feel. Rosa said this dance company is a road to discipline for almost all of her dancers. It is not only an outlet but a way to establish responsibility and commitment to a goal. \n"Dance discipline has been a vehicle for many of the students to succeed in school," Rosa said. \nThe company is also a way for the dancers to express their passion for their own history and backgrounds. \n"It is important to be able to feel us with each movement and feel each emotion," freshman Shaunquia Ryle said. "It is a way to understand and appreciate this history, because I think it is important for people not only to accept this, but to understand the culture."\nRosa said it is important for the dancers to not only learn the steps, but to focus on understanding the history and experiences that are being portrayed. \n"It's not about learning steps," Rosa said. "It's about history and the experiences of people in Afro-America." \nJunior Jamie Dowd said the class has been incredible.\n"This experience with the (AAAI) has given me such a broad perspective on dance," Dowd said. "I'm not just dancing, I'm becoming familiar with the Afro-American diaspora."\nThe performance is a historic portrayal of African-American gospel-centered churches. Rosa's goal was to fuse new contemporary movement and music with traditional gospel music. There are three pieces of music in this performance. The first is "Amazing Grace" as played by Hubert Laws, then "Sweet Honey in the Rock" and "Right On Be Free" by the Voices of East Harlem. "Spiritual Suite" will be performed by the AADC at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. \n-- Contact staff writer Gillian Hurley at ghurley@indiana.edu.