Cooking series gains popularity

The Asian Culture Center will transform its lounge into a cooking show with the third of its monthly recipe exchange and cooking demonstration series at 5 p.m. tonight at 807 E. 10th St. \nSenior Joon Gang Ko and Bloomington resident Hee Chung Yang will show the audience how to make several Korean dishes.\n"I think our program is a great way to introduce new, as well as different, cultures to the Bloomington community," said Ko, an East Asian Studies major who also is on staff at the ACC.\nThe cooking demonstrations were partially inspired by Director Melanie Castillo-Cullather's recent visit to Singapore where she saw many arts events and cooking forums similar to this one. Castillo-Cullather said cooking demonstrations had also been previously suggested by students. \n"Having it monthly is a great experience," she said.\nTheresa Chen, a graduate assistant at the ACC, said the first demonstration in September attracted approximately 13 people, but the event's popularity is spreading quickly. Last month, 30 people attended the event. Due to limited space at the ACC, Chen said they must now take reservations for the demonstrations.\nYang will make bulgogi, tofu-meatballs and salad with soy sauce. Bulgogi is a type of grilled and stir fried Korean beef. \n"Korean beef is absolutely delicious," Chen said.\nChen said tonight will be Ko's second time cooking at the event. The person scheduled to cook at last month's event found out at the last minute she was going to be late to the demonstration. The ACC was desperate to find a second demonstrator to fill the time until the other chef arrived, when somebody remembered Ko cooked well. According to Chen, Ko's cooking turned out to be a hit and they have asked him to return this month.\n"He had a great relationship with the audience and called up a volunteer to help cook," Chen said. "I personally think he should be on the Food Network."\nKo said he learned how to cook from friends and watching television and he likes to teach simple dishes people can make at home. He also gives tips on how to make the food inexpensively. \n"I cannot say that I have great expertise in the dishes I make," Ko said. "As I told other people, I only make bachelor's dishes. For a person who struggles with a busy lifestyle, making simple dishes in a more economical and healthier way does not disrespect authenticity, it is a way to survive."\nTonight, Ko will be making Spicy Vegetarian Mapo Tofu, a dish that originated in China but was introduced to Korea in the Mongol period. \nSpots for tonight's cooking demonstrations are going fast, Chen said. Reservations can be made by stopping by the ACC, calling 856-5361 or e-mailing acc@indiana.edu. For more information about the ACC, visit its Web site at www.indiana.edu/~acc. \n-- Contact staff writer Jenica Schultz at jwschult@indiana.edu.