Around The Arts

Asian Culture Center sponsors traditional Philippine dancing\nA presentation by the Asian Culture Center will focus on the national dance of the Philippines, "Tinikling." The dance imitates the movement of the tinikling birds as they walk between grass stems, run over tree branches, or dodge bamboo traps set by rice farmers. Dancers imitate the tinikling bird's legendary grace and speed by skillfully maneuvering between large bamboo poles. The demonstration will take place at 7 p.m. today at the Willkie Auditorium. The event is free and open to the public.\nLatest in 'Pie' series to show at Union this weekend\nUnion Board presents "American Wedding," the third installment of this teen comedy series, at 8 and 11 p.m. today through Saturday at the Whittenberger Auditorium in the Indiana Memorial Union. The film finds the group of guys reuniting for the quickie wedding of Jim (Jason Biggs) and Michelle (Alyson Hannigan). They have to get married fast, because Jim's grandmother is ill and wants to see him walk down the aisle. Naturally, Stifler (Seann William Scott) is in charge of planning the debauchery-filled bachelor party, but he finds himself competing with Finch (Eddie Kaye Thomas) for the affections of Michelle's sister, Cadence (January Jones). The film is rated R for for sexual content, language and crude humor. The showings are free with a student ID or $2. \nKorean chefs to teach cooking class\nIn this month's installment of the Asian Culture Center's cooking series, Hee Chung Yang and Joon Gang Ko will teach visitors to make several Korean dishes, including bulgogi (Korean beef stir-fry), tofu meatballs and salad with soy sauce. Each month, the ACC invites a guest who unveils her/his culinary knowledge and tell you about the varieties and nuances of the featured Asian dish, as well as its preparation. At the end of the program, a food tasting will take place. Due to limited seating, advance free registration is required. E-mail acc@indiana.edu to register. The cooking demonstration will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Asian Culture Center, 807 E. 10th St. \nIndependent theater troupe holds annual winter festival\nThe Bloomington Playwrights Project will celebrate the approach of winter with its annual Masquerade Winterfest from 6 p.m. to dawn Friday at 312 S. Washington St. Masks are required for the event, and handmade masks designed by Danielle Bruce, Nicole Bruce and other BPP artists will be on sale starting at $5 each. The extravaganza will feature dancing, door prizes, games, raffles, and cocktails and hors d'ouevres served until 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 per person or $15 per couple and are available at the door or by calling 334-1188. For more information, visit