Turnovers top Hoosier priorities

During the Michigan game week, forcing turnovers was the emphasis, according to senior Joe Gonzalez. And the Hoosiers accomplished that mission as they forced four in the first half but were unable to take any away from the Wolverines in the second.\nGonzalez said the challenge is to carry it over to this Saturday's game against Michigan State.\n"That's one of our objectives every week is to get at least three turnovers," Gonzalez said. "And we did a good job of stripping the ball. We just have to build on it."\nGonzalez recovered one of two that Wolverine senior Chris Perry put on the ground. Senior Duane Stone and sophomore Leonard Bryant intercepted Michigan senior John Navarre in the first quarter.\nBryant said he felt more like a former Florida State cornerback.\n"First I thought I was Deion until I couldn't keep my balance," Bryant said. "It was zone coverage and Navarre under threw it, so when I looked back I saw the ball and I caught it. It felt good; it felt real good. But it would've felt even better if I could have kept my balance and took it to the house."\nCorner talk: Both Bryant and Stone knew coming into the Michigan game that they would have to perform well against a talented Wolverine receiving corps for IU to have a chance.\nAlthough IU lost, the secondary showed improvement with Bryant and Stone's interceptions. But the defense also let Michigan convert two third and fifteen and Navarre had 170 yards passing with two touchdown passes.\n"I'm a good corner," Stone said. "They're good receivers. And I went out and proved today that I can play with the best receivers."\nBryant said he was happy with the performance of the defense.\n"I wouldn't say impressed, but...OK, I'm impressed, I'm impressed," Bryant said. "It's no surprise. We have the talent and the people to do it game in and game out."\nMeyers suspended: Freshman Will Meyers was suspended the Friday before the Michigan game for missing a Thursday night team meeting. Meyers was tied for the team lead in tackles prior to the game. Coach Gerry DiNardo said personal experiences caused his decision.\n"He met with me Friday, and he knew he messed up," DiNardo said. "I felt bad he was going to miss a game. What went through my mind was a young freshman having a lot of success right away. They still have to understand it's a team game. I've had freshmen before that have had a lot of success as ... freshmen, and they became bigger than the team and more important than the team."\nInjury report: Saturday was Gonzalez's first full game of the season as he has been limited by injuries all season. Junior Josh Moore said it was great to have Gonzalez back.\n"Joe played a hell of a game today," Moore said. "That's great because he's a fifth-year senior, and we had some leadership on the field today. It was great because he's been in situations like this."\nJunior Travis Haney went down with an injury during the second half of the Michigan game and did not return.\nDiNardo originally thought Haney would play against Michigan State. But DiNardo said Tuesday that both Haney and junior Courtney Roby will not play against the Spartans.\nExtra points: Saturday's game against Michigan State renews the annual battle for the Old Brass Spittoon. The trophy has been in existence since 1950 and MSU holds a 35-13-2 overall record in the series. MSU defeated IU 56-21 last year at Memorial Stadium.\n-- Contact staff writers Gavin Lesnick and John Rodgers at glesnick@indiana.edu and jprodger@indiana.edu.