on the SIDELINES

IRL driver Renna dies in crash at 26\nINDIANAPOLIS -- The investigation into the crash that killed Indy Racing League driver Tony Renna at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be hindered by a lack of visual evidence, an IRL spokesman said Thursday.\nBecause Wednesday's crash happened during a test session for Firestone Tires, there was no video or still photography to document the event, John Griffin said.\n"Obviously you don't have eye witnesses. You don't have photographers that would work during a typical event weekend," Griffin said. "From that standpoint, we are challenged."

Richardson suspended \nNEW YORK -- Jason Richardson of the Golden State Warriors was suspended for three games without pay for being convicted of domestic violence over the summer in Michigan, the NBA announced.\nRichardson's suspension will begin with the Warriors' first game of the 2003-04 season, next Wednesday night against Dallas.\nRichardson was convicted in August of a misdemeanor domestic violence charge stemming from an assault on his ex-girlfriend.

James expected to start Sunday\nINDIANAPOLIS -- Edgerrin James is expected to be in the starting lineup when the Indianapolis Colts take on the Houston Texans Sunday at the RCA Dome.\nJames has missed the last three games for the Colts because of a lower back injury, but the two-time NFL rushing champion was able to take part in practice Monday and Wednesday.\nColts coach Tony Dungy, who had expressed a wait-and-see attitude toward James' return earlier in the week, was more positive Wednesday.\n"I think he should be fine," Dungy said. "Edgerrin can do a lot of things well, so you don't have to tailor your offense specifically. You can do a lot of things with him in there without having to substitute. That's probably the advantage it gives you offensively."\nTwo other running backs, Ricky Williams and James Mungro, will probably miss this week's game due to ankle and knee injuries. Williams may be back in time for Indianapolis' Nov. 2 game at Miami. Mungro's return from minor knee surgery has yet to be determined.