on the SIDELINES

Legendary jockey dies at 72\nSAN MARINO, Calif. -- Bill Shoemaker, who rode four Kentucky Derby winners and was a commanding presence in thoroughbred racing for more than 40 years, died Sunday. He was 72.\nShoemaker died in his sleep at his suburban home near Santa Anita racetrack, according to longtime friend and trainer Paddy Gallagher. Known as "The Shoe" throughout his Hall of Fame career, the jockey was paralyzed from the neck down in 1991.\nGallagher, an assistant during Shoemaker's training career that ended in 1997, said doctors told him Shoemaker died of natural causes.\n"He was one of the greatest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of knowing in my life," said retired jockey Chris McCarron, now general manager of Santa Anita. "Forget about his ability to communicate with horses, his compassion for people was second to none."

Boston College agrees to join ACC\nRALEIGH, N.C. -- Boston College will join the Atlantic Coast Conference as the league's 12th member, giving the ACC enough members to stage a lucrative league championship football game.\nThe school's president said Sunday that athletics, academics and finances were reasons for the jump from the Big East to the ACC. The school hopes to complete the move by 2005.\n"The ACC is a strong, stable conference," The Rev. William Leahy said. "The move to the ACC will generate greater revenues in the future."\nLeahy said the school will have to pay an exit fee to leave the Big East, but wasn't sure what the price will be.