Hoosiers hope to regain momentum

Two weeks ago, the IU women's volleyball team was riding high on a wave of confidence. The team had won the IU Credit Union Invitational and then knocked off then-No. 18 Minnesota en route to a 9-4, 2-0 start in Big Ten play. But since then, the Hoosiers have fallen on some hard times, dropping their last four matches. \nNow 9-8, 2-4 Big Ten, the team travels to West Lafayette Wednesday to take on the Boilermakers in an attempt to regain some of its swagger.\nThe Hoosiers have had recent success against the Boilers, winning the last four contests between the two in-state rivals. In fact, the Hoosiers have won eight of the last nine matches in the series and IU coach Katie Weismiller has a career 15-5 record against the Boilermakers. \nLast weekend, IU dropped both its matches at home against Michigan and Michigan State. The Hoosiers were swept by the Wolverines and lost to then-No. 16 Michigan State in four games. Over its last four matches IU has only been able to secure one of the 13 games played in that stretch, being swept by Ohio State, Penn State and then Michigan. \nThe Boilers (11-5, 4-2) have won seven of their last 10 matches and split a pair of home matches last weekend against Michigan and Michigan State. The Boilers swept the ranked Spartans, but fell in five sets to Michigan. Purdue is 4-2 in the Big Ten for the first time since 1990 and is one win shy of equaling last year's win total of 12 victories. \nThe Hoosiers are led by junior outside hitter Christina Archibald. In last week's matches, Archibald posted her 27th and 28th consecutive match with double-digit kills, pounding out 14 against Michigan and another 17 versus Michigan State. \nThe importance of this match versus Purdue goes beyond the notions of beating their hated rival. IU's chances of making the NCAA Tournament are dwindling, but with the season still early, the Hoosiers have plenty of chances to regain their form and rebound, and beating the Boilers this week would go a long way to restoring the Hoosiers' confidence.