Hoosiers dominated by OSU

Buckeyes ran away with game in a soldout Memorial Stadium

Senior Joe Gonzalez sat in front of his locker Saturday afternoon with disgust on his face. The safety had just seen IU's defense surrender 603 yards of total offense to the Ohio State Buckeyes in their 35-6 win over the Hoosiers.\nPrior to Saturday, OSU's offense ranked 114th in Division I-A in total offense.\n"That's embarrassing as a defensive player," Gonzalez said. "You don't want that. For a team that's 114th coming in to run and throw the ball all over you doesn't sit well in your stomach."\nThe Buckeye's defense dominated as well in shutting down the Hoosier offense.\nIU was held to 12 yards rushing and added some passing yards late to have 143 through the air. When it was all said and done, the Hoosiers mustered only 131 yards of total offense.\nOSU's physical defense took its toll on IU. Junior quarterback Matt LoVecchio left the game in the fourth quarter and didn't talk to the media after the game. LoVecchio went straight to the training room following the game, and then left, complaining of dizziness.\nSophomore Graeme McFarland replaced LoVecchio. McFarland said he could tell during the game that LoVecchio wasn't himself in the second half.\n"At the beginning of the fourth quarter I could kind of tell when I was giving him signals that he was kind of swaying back and forth," McFarland said. "He came off and I asked him if he was alright and he said he was a little bit dizzy. He'd come off and I would ask him a question he would trail off into something else. He definitely wasn't himself, so I knew something was wrong."\nLoVecchio's status is unknown for practice this week or the Nov. 1 game at Minnesota.\nThe No. 8 Buckeyes didn't waste anytime pounding on the overmatched Hoosiers. OSU took the opening drive and handed it over to junior Lydell Ross. The running back ran six times for 67 yards on the drive, often utilizing an inside counter play. Ross capped the drive with an 11-yard touchdown run.\nEarly in the second quarter, OSU senior Craig Krenzel went to the air and found senior Drew Carter for 49 yards to the IU five yard line. One play later, Ross walked into the end zone for a 14-point lead.\nPerhaps the most demoralizing score for OSU came late in the second quarter. LoVecchio was intercepted by freshman Donte Whitner at the OSU 46. Krenzel directed the Buckeyes down the field, and with eight seconds left in the half found freshman Santonio Holmes for a 21-point lead.\nIU coach Gerry DiNardo said the score before the half deflated his team.\n"I thought that third score in the first half really hurt us from an emotional standpoint," DiNardo said. "We would have gone in losing 14-0, which isn't any fun, but 21-0 at half-time, the way it happened, really hurt our guys emotionally. Our locker room was flat as a pancake, no enthusiasm, no excitement. That was about as bad as our locker room has been at any point this year, and it was that third score that did it."\nOSU did it two more times in the second half to lead 35-0 at one point. McFarland was successful in his IU debut, going six of six for 54 yards including a 17-yard screen pass to sophomore Chris Taylor for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.\nAfter his team gave up 603 yards of total offense, sophomore defensive end Victor Adeyanju was asked if he knew that OSU was ranked 114th nationally in total offense. \n"What?" Adeyanju said. "No way. No way. They were pretty good."\n-- Contact staff writer John Rodgers at jprodger@indiana.edu.