Dance Marathon aims to break fundraising record

Dancing, games and staying awake are what's in store for those planning to keep their eyes wide open for 36 hours straight. The IU Dance Marathon is coming soon.\nThe event, which takes place at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, will begin at 8 p.m. Oct. 31, and conclude at 8 a.m. on Nov. 2.\nSince its start in 1991, Dance Marathon, an annual benefit for Riley Children's Hospital, has done nothing but grow in popularity. In its first year of existence, it was able to raise $10,900. Since then, the total has increased each year, with last year's donations topping over $415,000. \nThe goal this year is to beat last year's record, said Stacy England, president of Dance Marathon. But she said it would be tough with many corporations struggling economically.\nEngland said with the economy performing the way it has in recent years, not as many companies have been able to donate as much as they would like. This has only pushed Dance Marathon members to work even harder each year.\n"We don't talk about totals," England said. "We work hard … and continue to promote our event, but we don't talk about final outcomes." \nThe benefit was inspired by the death of 18-year-old AIDS victim Ryan White. All proceeds from the weekend go to the Ryan White Infectious Disease Center.\nDance Marathon Coordinator for the Riley Children's Foundation Katherine Cain said last year $250,000 went to research and development of infectious diseases. Other proceeds go to doctors' salaries of those specifically involved in the infectious diseases department.\nThe annual date auction, maybe the most amusing of all Dance Marathon fundraising activities, takes place this Thursday at Kilroy's Sports Bar and Grill. Twenty men and women will take the stage at 9 p.m. to be auctioned off into a crowd of complete strangers. Those up for sale include various IU athletes and cheerleaders. Malik from MTV's "Real World: Back to New York" will act as MC for the event.\nOther activities to raise funds include a kiosk at the College Mall located between Old Navy and Payless ShoeSource and canning outside of various Kroger and Wal-Mart stores throughout Indiana. \n"Everything we collect makes a difference," said Rachel Auerbach, director of fundraising for Dance Marathon. "These activities are one of the main reasons why we have been so successful in raising funds year-in and year-out."\nBut it's not just dancing and games throughout the course of the 36-hour weekend. Many recovering children from Riley Children's Hospital come with their families to support the students who have worked so hard for the cause.\n"The kids come down and have a great time with the participants of the marathon," Vice President of Development McKay Freed-Brown said. "It's great to actually meet the kids we are trying to help."\nDance Marathon is still looking to raise more before the festivities are over. Donations can be made, students can raise money to become dancers or committee members, alumni are always welcome to volunteer their services and Dance Marathon is always looking for new corporate sponsors.\nFor the members, it's all about being relentless. Many could spend an entire day just preparing for the benefit.\n"This is the best thing I have gotten involved with since coming to college," Morale member Amanda Balanoff said. "When we see those kids, we know it's worth every bit of time put in."\n-- Contact staff writer Alex Pappas at aspappas@indiana.edu.