Around The Game

Women's cross country takes second at Auburn Invitational\nAfter finishing in 15th place at the Roy Griak Invitational two weeks ago in Minnesota, and the recent injuries to senior Becky Obrecht, and sophomores Jessica Gall and Lindsay Hattendorf, the No. 34 Hoosiers stayed optimistic Friday entering the five-kilometer Auburn Invitational, in Auburn, Ala.\nThe Hoosiers finished second with a team score of 111, in a field of 32 teams, to Mississippi State's 107 points. Senior Audrey Giesler led the way for the Hoosiers, finishing first for the team and fifth overall with a time of 17:50.6. \nJunior Mindy Peterson, who finished 11th overall and second for the Hoosiers with a time of 18:34.52, said the team wanted to make a change at the Auburn Invitational after the Hoosiers' 15th finish at the Roy Griak Invitational.\n"This was definitely more positive because we went out with a more goal-oriented strategy," Peterson said in a statement. "For me, I felt comfortable and confident the first mile and tried to stay in the same position the whole race."\nRounding out the other finishes for the Hoosiers were freshman Kristin Whitezell, who finished 26th overall, sophomore Kelly Siefker in 29th, junior Julie Shields in 46th and sophomore Allison Miller in 82nd.\nIU women's cross country coach Judy Wilson said the team is right on course with Friday's performance.\n"The course was slow because it was rainy and wet, and they ran the men's race before ours," Wilson said in a statement. "We ran OK. Audrey (Giesler) and Mindy (Peterson) ran well. We're moving in the right direction, and this was a good step towards pre-nationals."\nIU's next competition is Oct. 18 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, for the NCAA Pre-National Meet.

Women's soccer team finds success on the road\nThe Hoosiers continued their recent success by earning a tie against Michigan and an overtime win at Michigan State. With the tie and the win, the Hoosiers now move their record to 6-6-1 on the year, 3-3-1 in the Big Ten.\nDespite dominating the first half, the Hoosiers weren't able to score a goal against the Wolverines. The game eventually went into overtime where the Hoosiers appeared to score a goal when the ball hit the Michigan crossbar and fell to the ground. The ball landed on the goal line, but the referees didn't award the goal to the Hoosiers, and neither team was able to do anything in the rest of overtime.\nAgainst Michigan State, the team was fortunate to find a little more offense. Junior midfielder Kim Grodek scored the first goal just five minutes into the game. Right before halftime, the Spartans were able to record two goals, putting the score at 2-1. With just two minutes remaining in the game, Grodek was able to score again, tying the game at 2-2. The game went into overtime, but it didn't last long. Freshman forward Missy Vierling took a pass from senior midfielder Emily Hotz and hit a shot that ricocheted off the post and into the goal not even two minutes into overtime, giving the Hoosiers a 3-2 victory.\nIU will be in action again Friday at home against Illinois.