WUSA folds on eve of 2003 World Cup

Most of IU's women's soccer players will not continue to play after they graduate, but for a few, the next level awaits. \nThe Women's United Soccer Association (WUSA) and the Women's World Cup have been the only places where women's soccer players could showcase their talents after college. However, the women's World Cup only happens every four years, and the WUSA recently folded due to insufficient funds to support a fourth season. Shaunna Daugherty, senior goalkeeper for the Hoosiers, said she is disappointed with what happened to the WUSA.\n"It's pretty unfortunate," she said. "The WUSA gave a lot of players an opportunity to play after college. Having the WUSA fold is a letdown for a lot of future players."\nFreshman midfielder Liz Davis agreed and said that she believes that the WUSA folding is a step in the wrong direction.\n"It's definitely disappointing because women's athletics have come so far," Davis said.\nThe eight-team WUSA, founded after the 1999 World Cup, announced its folding Sept. 15, on the eve of the 2003 World Cup. The WUSA owners had already invested more than $100 million into the league before the decision was announced.\nThe league itself featured eight teams: Boston, Atlanta, San Diego, Washington, New York, San Jose, Carolina, and Philadelphia. It included 56 players who will be participating in the Women's World Cup this year. Lauren Lamping, a freshman defender for the Hoosiers, said what happened to the WUSA is bad for women's sports.\n"I think it's definitely a shame," Lamping said. "It's a blow to women's sports in general. Now, there's nothing for women's soccer players after college. I thought it was interesting to watch [the WUSA] because you can learn from watching them play."\nFor women's soccer fans, the Women's World Cup can help take their mind off the WUSA collapsing. World Cup play began Saturday and has already seen the United States defeat Sweden 3-1 in the first round. Lamping said she enjoys the World Cup.\n"I think it's important," she said. "Women's soccer has taken such huge strides since the United States won four years ago. It's fun to watch."\nIn the last Women's World Cup, the United States surprised many with a victory over a heavily favored Chinese squad. Brandy Chastain scored the winning goal for the United States when she put in the fifth penalty kick, giving the U.S. a 5-4 edge, and an unforgettable victory. Daugherty said the World Cup is important for women's soccer players to watch.\n"The World Cup means a lot," she said. "The women's national team is a representation of the best talent and the best girls in the country. It's great to see soccer at the next level and it brings a lot for women's soccer."\nThe U.S. women's team plays its next game 7:30 p.m. Thursday against Nigeria at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.\n-- Contact staff writer Cory Steger at csteger@indiana.edu