Team travels to Minnesota after first place finish in Terre Haute

13 of top 30 ranked teams run in Griak Invitational

Coming off a first place victory at the Indiana Intercollegiates last Friday in Terre Haute, the No. 21 Hoosiers travel to Minneapolis on Saturday to compete in the Roy Griak Invitational.\nLast week senior Audrey Giesler won the individual title in the Indiana Intercollegiates by turning in a five-kilometer personal record time of 17:47. Sophomore Lindsay Hattendorf finished fifth overall with a personal record of 18:21.\nCoach Judy Wilson said every workout Giesler runs helps her development as a collegiate runner.\n"You put in the workouts, one after another, and sooner or later, you are faster than you were before," Wilson said. "And, even more importantly, she decided halfway through her sophomore year that she didn't want to be a mediocre college runner."\nHattendorf, who ran a 23:39.9, and finished 225th overall, and ninth for the Hoosiers last year at the Roy Griak Invitational, said to do well this weekend she needs to run a smarter race and draw on the experience of last year's meet.\n"I need to not go so fast at the start and run more consistent that anything," Hattendorf said. "I know what it is going to take to be up there and I am ready to do it this weekend."\nThirteen of the top 30 ranked teams in the nation will be running in the six-kilometer Roy Griak Invitational this weekend, along with five of the top 10 ranked teams from the NCAA Great Lakes Regional Poll. Those five teams include No. 2 Michigan, No. 3 Michigan State, No. 5 IU, No. 6 Marquette, and No. 7 Toledo. Toledo is the only team of these not ranked in the national poll.\nHattendorf said it is always good to get a six-kilometer race in before November when the NCAA Great Lakes Regional and NCAA Championships take place, as both races are six-kilometer races.\n"I pretty much look at a 6k race as if it were a 5k but with one more 1k at the end," Hattendorf said. "That's why I need to not go out so fast so I will have some left for the last k of the 6k race."\nThe women's division one gold race begins 1 p.m. Saturday at the Les Bolstad Golf Course.\n-- Contact staff writer Steve Slivka at smslivka@indiana.edu.