Returning runners lead Hoosiers

Team retains all varsity runners from 2002 season

After a successful 2002 campaign, Coach Judy Wilson's 2003 IU women's cross-country team looks to continue the trend into this season. The Hoosiers return every varsity runner from a squad that finished 14th at the NCAA National Championship meet, and have their sights set on a top 10 finish in 2003. Three of those returning runners -- senior Audrey Giesler, sophomore Jessica Gall, and senior Becky Obrecht -- each garnered All-Big Ten honors.\nGiesler looks to be the lead runner for the Hoosiers. Giesler is coming off an outstanding outdoor track season where she broke the Big Ten outdoor track record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 10:14.19. After setting a personal record time of 17:49.3, and helping lead her team to a third place finish in the Big Ten Championships, Giesler now knows what she needs to do to have a repeat performance this season.\n"Even though we didn't lose anybody from our top seven, we're coming back from a few injuries and setbacks," Giesler said. "We know that this is a new year and a new team, but the ultimate goals are the same, so we just need to keep a positive outlook on the entire season and take one meet at a time."\nGall, who is coming off an outstanding freshman season, looks to improve on her 5k personal record of 17:58.9, which she achieved with an 11th-place finish at the Big Ten Championship.\n"Jess gradually improved with each race last season," said Wilson. "Her races at Pre-NCAAs, Big Ten's and Regionals were huge in getting the team to a top 15 place at NCAAs."\nObrecht is looking to go out on a high note, this being her senior year. Last season, she finished 14th and the Big Ten Championship with a time of 18:05.5.\n"Becky has been a top five performer for us the last two seasons, and we look for her to continue that trend," Wilson said. "She brings valuable experience and senior leadership to our squad."\nAllyson Hammond, who was red-shirted last season, is now in her last season of eligibility and looks to make her mark on the team. Hammond was an NCAA National meet qualifier in 2000 with a 48th place finish and a time of 21:33.9.\nRounding out the top seven are sophomores Lindsay Hattendorf, Larra Overton and Mindy Peterson.\nIU welcomes three new freshmen to this year's team. From Illinois, Kristin Whitezell was the state champion in the 1600m run. Lauren Magee, from Ohio, was a four-year letter winner and state-qualifier in track. Ilsa Danielson, also of Illinois, earned a total of eight varsity letters in cross-country and track and was a member of the 3,200m relay team that won the state title in her senior season. \n-- Contact staff writer Steve Slivka at smslivka@indiana.edu.