Redshirting helps Redman improve

For student-athletes, the transition from high school to college can sometimes be a difficult one. The level of competition is higher, the training is different and the atmosphere more intense. Red-shirting is often a useful way for a young athlete to gain some experience before having to actually compete.\nSophomore Eric Redman is one athlete who red-shirted his first year, helping him gain valuable experience to help ease the transition from high school to college.\n"It gave me a chance to get used to division one training and get accustomed to collegiate athletics without having to go out there and compete right away," Redman said.\nWhen an athlete redshirts, he or she cannot compete in any NCAA sponsored meets, but can still train with the team. Redman said the key to making a red-shirt season successful is hard work.\n"The number one thing was consistently training during my red-shirt year," Redman said. "I listened to coach and senior leaders, and gained enough experience to be strong enough and ready to contribute to the team."\nThe hard work paid off. In the 2002 cross country season, Redman was in the top five for the Hoosiers in every meet. He was third for IU at the Pre-NCAA meet and ran his best time at the Big Ten Championships, running 24:58 for the 8k event. \nCoach Robert Chapman said he has become accustomed to Redman's success and has come to expect great things from him.\n"It took me awhile, but I have learned not to be surprised by anything Eric does," Chapman said. "Where Eric has surprised me most is the fact that he has probably progressed from high school to high level college training and racing faster than any athlete I have ever coached."\nAlthough Redman is a talented runner, Chapman said he also possesses something intangible, something that allows him to maximize his full potential.\n"I think he may have more guts and can handle more pain and discomfort than just about anyone I have worked with," Chapman said. "That doesn't mean that the guy is not talented, because he is. But he's found that very necessary magic in our sport of being able to push beyond barriers, even when it hurts like hell."\nChapman said Redman's greatest asset to his running is his ability to run through anything and always compete no matter what.\n"I was amazed the last two years about how he would go and stick his nose in races, even when I would have taken things more conservatively," Chapman said. "He has no fear of big time national-level races."\nRedman has also made the adjustment from college to high school easier with the help of his teammates. The sophomore runner came to IU with a highly acclaimed class including Big Ten Freshman of the Year John Jefferson and all-Big Ten runner Sean Jefferson.\n"I think a big thing that has helped Eric has been coming in at the same time with Haas and the Jeffersons," Chapman said. "From day one, he basically forced himself to hang on with those guys in practice."\nAs Redman's roommate and teammate, sophomore Stephen Haas said he has noticed Redman's work ethic from the start.\n"He has gone out there and worked hard every day since he has been here, and it is really paying off," Hass said.\nThis season Redman said he hopes to improve upon last season and contribute to the team no matter where that puts him.\n"The main things I expect out of myself is improving my placing and times from last year, and help the team," Redman said.\n-- Contact staff writer Alex Witteveld at pawittev@indiana.edu.