Rangers goalie Richter to retire retire; team agrees to terms with Mironov

NEW YORK -- New York Rangers goalie Mike Richter will officially retire today nearly 10 months after he was sidelined with a second concussion.\nRichter spent his entire 14-year NHL career with the Rangers. The popular goalie led the team to the Stanley Cup in 1994 -- the Rangers' first NHL title since 1940 -- and leaves with more than a dozen club records.\nHis record was 301-258-73, and he holds team marks for most games in net at 666, and most minutes played at 38,185.\nThe Rangers called a Thursday news conference, and a hockey source who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity confirmed Wednesday it was to announce Richter's retirement.\nRichter, who turns 37 later this month, was kneed in the head during a game against the Edmonton Oilers on Nov. 5, 2002 -- the final win of his career. The hit came after Richter missed the final nine games from the previous season with a skull fracture, which occurred after he was hit in the mask by a shot.\nA three-time All-Star, Richter was also a member of the 1998 and 2002 U.S. Olympic hockey teams, the latter of which won the silver medal in Salt Lake City, and was the goalie on the U.S. team that won the World Cup in 1996.\nHe was chosen MVP of the 1994 NHL All-Star game, and holds eight Rangers' regular-season records and five postseason records.\nAlso Wednesday, the Rangers agreed to terms with free agent defenseman Boris Mironov, who was acquired by New York from Chicago on Jan. 8. In 36 games with the Rangers, Mironov had three goals and nine assists.