New coach brings experience, leadership to young team

It was clear after IU women's rowing lost coach Mark Wilson, it would need to fill his spot with someone who had both knowledge and experience with the sport, which is exactly what they got. Since 1996, Stephen Peterson has been a member of the U.S. Olympic Rowing Team, the women's rowing coach at George Washington University, as well as the United States National Team Coach from 1999 to the present. As coach of the National Team, Peterson's pupils have accumulated four silver medals and one bronze. In terms of the IU rowing program, Peterson seems very enthusiastic.\nEven though Peterson said it may take some time to make the program top notch, he thinks the team is capable of competing in the Big Ten this year. \nHe said he does not feel there is any secret to competing at the top level, and he feels that as hard-working as the team is willing to be, that will determine how far the team will go. \nFor the Rhode Island University graduate, his 18 years out of college has already led to an extensive resume.\nIncluding college and post-college competitions, Peterson has received over 50 medals. From 1989-92 and 1995-96, Peterson was a member of the U.S. National Team. Some of his highlights during that time included winning the bronze medal in 1989 for the men's quadruple sculls at the championships in Duisburg, Germany, as well as winning the men's double sculls in Tasmania, Australia. He also won the 1990 Vesper Cup Award. One U.S. National Team member receives this award yearly, which is given "for outstanding and inspirational achievement in international competition." \nFrom 1989-91, Peterson was not only a member of the U.S. National Team, but he was also the main coach for RIU's men's and women's rowing team. During this short period of time, he led one of the women's teams and two of the men's teams to first place finishes.\nDuring his years spent at GWU, Peterson was named Atlantic Ten Conference coach of the year twice, and his women's team never finished lower than second place in the league standings. His highest accomplishment as the GWU women's coach was the team reaching the 1998 NCAA Championships. \nPeterson recently competed with his other national team athletes in the FISA World Rowing Championships in Milan, Italy that took place the week of Aug. 24. The IU rowing team is eagerly awaiting his return on Sept. 8.