IU loses at home, wins on the road

No. 8 Michigan State to much to handle; team rebounds against St. Louis

IU's field hockey team opened their Big Ten schedule in disappointing fashion, falling to 8th-ranked Michigan State 6-0 Friday night at the Mellencamp Pavilion. \nThis was the second straight loss for the Hoosiers, who dropped their previous game to Richmond after starting the season 4-0. The game was one sided from the outset, with the Spartans taking a quick 1-0 lead behind the speed of junior midfielder Veerie Goudswaard, who raced down field to receive an outlet pass from deep inside MSU territory and beat IU goalkeeper Molly Pulkrabek to the ball. It was all downhill from there for the Hoosiers, who trailed the Spartans 5-0 at halftime, giving up nine shots to their three in the first half. There was also a scary moment in the first half for IU as sophomore midfielder Morgan Albini had to leave the game after being hit in the head with the ball. Albini was replaced by freshman April Levins, her former high school teammate. \nThe Hoosiers hunkered down in the second half, giving up just one goal on six shots behind the goaltending of Katie Kanara, who replaced Pulkrabek following halftime. They also led the Spartans in shots 7-6 following the intermission, but could get past neither of MSU's goaltenders, Christina Kirkaldy and Lauren Hess, who had four saves a piece for the game. Goudswaard scored the only goal of the second half, joining forces with Alex Kyser to lead MSU with two goals each. Junior Kayla Bashore led the Hoosiers in shots for the game with eight. \nDespite the defeat, IU coach Amy Robertson was upbeat about their performance. \n"I am very proud of the way the girls played today," she said. "We executed our game plan and played well. Michigan State was just successful in capitalizing on its scoring opportunities."\nRobertson was concerned with the dominance MSU held in the penalty corners category, leading the Hoosiers 10-6 in those opportunities. \n"Michigan State has a very strong scoring unit and are very dangerous with penalty corners," Robertson said. "I think the difference in the game was giving up penalty corners, and Michigan State executed."\nAfter defeating St. Louis on the road Sunday 4-2, the Hoosiers continue their Big Ten season at home against Penn State at 6 p.m. Friday night at Mellencamp Pavilion, followed by another home game against Kent State Sunday afternoon.