Hoosiers pick up first victory of season on home course

The IU men's golf team picked up its first tournament victory of the season at the Hoosier Invitational this weekend. In a tournament that saw the Hoosiers set numerous records, junior Jeff Overton once again led the way for the Hoosiers with his second victory in as many weeks. \nOverton shot a 65 in Saturday's opening round, tying a school record for 18 holes and setting a new career low. With a second round 69, Overton shot a school record 134 through the first 36 holes. The previous mark was 135, set by Brent Landry at the 1998 Xavier Intercollegiate. Overton also took first place at the Northern Intercollegiate September 20-21. After winning his second consecutive tournament, Overton said his confidence is high.\n"I've been playing really well for probably the last four or five months," Overton said. "I have a large amount of confidence right now in my game. But, at the same time there are some things that I have to work on, fine tune, and get ready for next week."\nOverton was not the only Hoosier with record-setting efforts. Senior Ryan Cassidy began the tournament with an opening round 68, establishing a new career low 18-hole score. Junior Heath Peters also got off to a record-setting start on the tournament's first day. Peters shot a 142 over the first two rounds, tying his career low 36-hole total.\nAt the end of Saturday, the Hoosiers had four golfers in the top 10. Overton was alone in first, senior Mike Birkenfeld was tied for third, and Cassidy and Peters were tied for eighth. On Sunday, the Hoosiers showed no signs of slowing down.\nOverton shot a final round 69 for a total score of 10-under-par 203, good enough to take first place by five strokes and set a new school record for low 72-hole total. The previous record was 204, set by Dan Olsen at the 1989 Ellwood Greens Invitational.\nBirkenfeld also shot a final round 69 to claim a total score of 208 and second place.\n"I am very pleased with the way I played," Birkenfeld said. "I hit the ball really well. I could have putted a little better, but the way I hit the ball I really wasn't going to make anything worse than bogey. I made a couple bogeys, but made a few birdies and played solid overall."\nWith so many individual records being set, the Hoosiers could not avoid setting a few team records. The Hoosiers easily defeated the competition with a total score of 15-under-par 837. Eastern Michigan came in a distant second with an 18-over-par 870, giving the Hoosiers a 33 stroke margin of victory. The score of 837 marks a school record for 72 holes. The previous mark was 840 at the 2000 Legends Intercollegiate, which was also the last time the Hoosiers took first place as a team. Coach Mike Mayer said he was very impressed with his team's performance.\n"We got a big win here, in a big way," Mayer said. "This team needed to get through that door, get through that threshold of winning. And I think they did it in a big way today. These scores to me are a little bit unbelievable. It's not like this golf course is playing easy; as a matter of fact ... it was playing very tough."\nThe victory, coming on the heels of a second-place finish at last weekend's Northern Intercollegiate, marks the best start to a season since 1990, when the team began with a first place finish at the UC/Johnny Bench and followed with a tie for second at the Indiana Intercollegiate. \nThe Hoosiers will try to continue their success when they travel to Charlotte, NC, for the 49ers Invitational October 6-7.\n-- Contact staff writer Charlie Gillingham at cgilling@indiana.edu.