Herbert looks to change positions

President may restructure jobs after retirements this year

Two University administrators are retiring, but IU President Adam Herbert has ordered that there be no search for replacements as he looks at possible administrative restructuring.\nThe retirements of Don Weaver, director of state relations, and Moya Andrews, vice-chancellor for academic affairs and dean of faculties, has prompted Herbert to examine their positions and whether they will exist in the same fashion.\n"We look at retirement as a chance to really look at the positions," said IU spokesman Bill Stephan.\nStephan said part of the reason Herbert is halting any major administrative searches is because he wants to find the best candidate for IU.\n"We aren't going to find another Don Weaver," he said. "That's not possible. So, we are just looking at what kind of arrangement can be worked out that would be in the best interest for the University."\nStephan said Herbert will announce an interim replacement for Weaver in October. Stephan said Herbert will most likely choose an existing administrator as an interim replacement, similar to Vice President Terry Clapacs, who is also the Athletic Director. \nWeaver begins his retirement on Sept. 30, so his position will be vacant for a brief period. \nOne decision Herbert has already made is to not search for a provost, which would have been the head of campus academic affairs. IU-Bloomington Chancellor Sharon Brehm announced her intention to search for a provost in October 2002, but the search was postponed when former President Myles Brand announced his departure.\nBrehm said Herbert showed no interest in the position, but Stephan said Herbert did not need to look into such a decision.\n"The provost search was already dead," Stephan said. "There were a lot of questions about the position and the role the provost would play. That issue was to be explored more fully and that didn't happen."\nStephan said Herbert has begun speaking to the IU board of trustees and will considering changing many positions at IU.\nTrustee Peter Obremskey said looking at the University's organization is an important task for any new president.\n"We're all the time looking at things we can change," he said. "We always have to try to be more efficient, more effective. Still, he needs time to evaluate the situation. It will take a while."\nNeither Obremskey nor Stephan would say whether restructuring would mean loss of jobs.\nObremskey emphasizes that it is very early in the process and no definite decisions about changes can be made yet.\nStill, Stephan said IU will not be completely reorganized.\n"We aren't talking about a dramatic restructuring at IU," he said. "President Herbert is looking at certain offices and their roles in the University. He is just looking at closing some gaps. We're just talking about fine-tuning some positions in the next year. I wouldn't expect huge changes -- at least right away."\n-- Contact campus editor Adam Aasen at aaasen@indiana.edu.