Fall tennis season opens against Big Ten opponents

Road to title begins in Michigan

The fall tournament season opens today for the IU women's tennis team as the squad travels to Kalamazoo, Mich., for the Bronco Invitational. In their opening match of the season, the Hoosiers look to take their first step toward returning to national championship contention.\nThe Cream and Crimson begin the fall season against perennial powerhouses Illinois, Michigan and Michigan State, with Ball State and Marquette adding to the fierce competition.\nThe Bronco Invitational, the first of many fall season events, differs from spring dual match play in that no team scoring takes place. Individuals compete with the focus of preparation, as grueling conference play begins in February.\nLeading off for the Hoosiers is the doubles team of seniors Karie Schlukebir and Linda Tran. The dominating duo enters the weekend's competition as the No. 28 doubles team in the country, according to the International Tennis Association pre-season rankings. The Hoosiers tandem made a strong run in the ITA Summer Championships, finishing as runners-up for the second straight year.\nHoping to continue where she left off is senior sensation Martina Grimm. In the 2002-2003 season, Grimm led the team in singles victories, picking up a career high 23 wins en route to earning Academic All-Big Ten honors. Look for Grimm to improve on her win total starting this weekend, as she rounds out a trio of seniors who are hungry for success in their final year in Bloomington.\nSeeking out victories against her former teammates is Michigan State transfer Dora Vastag. Vastag, the former No. 1 Spartan singles player, arrived in Bloomington in her sophomore season of eligibility. Vostag adds both strong singles and doubles play, as she starts the season as a Hoosier, with the Spartans on the opposite side of the net.\nLacing up their shoes for the first time as collegians are incoming freshmen Laura McGaffigan, Kara Zeder and Cecile Perton. These freshmen are not only beginning their Division I careers, but are also battling to fill positions four, five and six, as coach Lin Loring gets his first look at his recruiting class in 2003 season play.\nThe Bronco Invitational wraps up Saturday and Sunday, with the Hoosier Invitational looming around the corner as their next showdown in a brutal fall schedule.