22-year-old soccer stadium provides stable home venue

It's been home to five national championship teams. It's seen players come and go, some on to professional leagues. It's seen the victories -- and losses -- of countless Little 500 teams. 314,306 fans have been in its stands to watch the men's soccer team over the last 12 years. \nIt's Bill Armstrong Stadium. \nThe facilities include lockerooms, a full training room and a player lounge. All of which are products of the recent renovation.\n"I haven't seen better yet," Zayner said. "Looking around at the other places. They're incredible here." \nArmstrong Stadium, which was first built in 1981, is the cornerstone of IU soccer.\nIn the summer of 2000, the venue received major renovations that made it one of college soccer's premier stadiums. The renovations were the first of a two-part project, according to the IU Athletic Web site. \n"The first phase included a new grass playing surface, the first upgrade since the field was constructed, in addition to a 5,000-seat, poured-in-place grandstand," according to the site. "The concrete grandstand includes a complete soccer press facility, including seating for 50 media members, restrooms and a food service area. The entire cost of Phase I was over $2.5 million. The second phase was completed in the spring of 2001. It included the removal of the old north stands and the two-level press box."\nSenior midfielder Drew Shinabarger highlighted the importance of quality facilities and his demeanor towards them. \n"It's the main thing you look for when you're going to attend a school," Shinabarger said. "We have great facilities and should be proud of them." \nHe said the facilities weigh in on every student-athlete's decision when they choose a school. He added the facilities heavily influenced his decision to become a Hoosier. Shinabarger also shed light on one luxury that sometimes gets overlooked at the soccer complex. \n"We've received great donations from alumni and friends," Shinabarger said. "One thing those donations have gone to are the lights. The lights are unbelievable. Most people don't notice our lights either." \nArmstrong Stadium was financed completely by private donations. Coach Jerry Yeagley said looking back on the situation it is amazing to see what they have now. \n"We've come a long way," Yeagley said. "Our first office had chicken wire in the glass window. It was located in the bowels of Assembly Hall. When we were a club team, we used to play on Jordan Field behind the fraternities. Now we have one of the best facilities in the country. I'm extremely proud. Bill Armstrong was a humble man and we owe a lot to him. We also owe a great deal to the other contributors as well." \nWhile Yeagley detailed the history of the IU soccer stadiums and thanked Armstrong, Zayner said the other IU sports are privileged to have fine facilities, too. Zayner added soccer is only one sport at IU that receives the very best facilities.\n"It's a blessing," Zayner said. "Just going to Connecticut. Seeing the other places where we play. It's so nice here at IU. The facilities are great for football and for track and field as well. It's not just soccer that the facilities are great for." \nLike his teammate, Zayner said the soccer facilities were instrumental in his decision to attend IU. He added it was a big factor as to why he chose to become a Hoosier. \n"They're not going to put up good facilities for bad players," Zayner said. "Only the best players go to IU and play soccer for the Hoosiers." \nMeanwhile, Yeagley said this project was a big undertaking and added that work still needs to be completed on the north side of the Stadium.\n"It was a major capital campaign," Yeagley said. "It's still not quite finished. But even though it's not completely finished, we can honor the great players of the past with it."\nYeagley said they still need to put some finishing touches on the stadium, especially on the north stands, opposite the press box. It is expected to add another 5,000 seats to the stadium. \nMoreover, the future plans include a new entry plaza to join Hayes Track at Robert C. Haugh Track & Field Complex with Armstrong Stadium. Also, improvements to restrooms, concessions and storage space have been discussed.\nArmstrong Stadium currently includes complete locker room amenities for both IU and the visiting team on the north side. The Hoosiers' locker room includes a complete training room on location.\nZayner said the most impressive thing that stands out to him about Armstrong Stadium is the belief in the men's soccer program. \n"The tradition that went into it (Armstrong Stadium)," Zayner said. "When they put the flags up, you understand what you're playing for. You're playing for the IU logo. There's just so much tradition in it (Armstrong Stadium)." \n-- Contact staff writer Zack Eldridge at zeldridg@indiana.edu.