State Fair kicks off in Indianapolis

The taste of an ice-cold lemon shake-up or a warm funnel cake. The sound of buzzers and bells from midway games filled with stuffed animals. The feeling in your stomach after being hurdled through the air in a ride called "The Zipper." The view from atop a Ferris wheel. And yes -- even the smell of the cows and pigs in the barn. All of these things make up a summer tradition in Indiana -- the State Fair, which began Wednesday in Indianapolis and lasts until Aug. 17.\n"A lot of real Hoosiers recognize that the Indiana State Fair really represents what Indiana stands for," said Andy Klotz, head of public relations for the fair. "Not only is there the agriculture and the farming, which really is why the fair was started, but the entertainment and the family atmosphere really show what Indiana is made of."\nThe 147th Indiana State Fair, which kicked off at 6 a.m. Wednesday with a hot-air balloon race, provides an economic boost to the local economy every summer. Last year, the fair drew a record 794,000 people and brought nearly $20 million into Indianapolis.\n"Between money spent at the fair, hotels (and) gasoline, we bring in a lot of funds for the city," Lotz said. "It just continues to grow in popularity and we hope it stays that way."\nResearchers Lawrence S. Davidson and Bruce L. Jaffee pegged the direct economic impact of the 2001 fair on Indianapolis at $19.5 million: $17.4 million by individuals and $2.1 million by the fair organization. This, of course, does not even include the money spent by those living in Indianapolis, which bumps the economic impact to over $30 million -- more than a Final Four weekend. \nWith the acts lined up for this year's fair, Klotz said he hopes that the money will continue to roll in. Performers this year include: American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson on Friday, National Public Radio host Garrison Keillor on Wednesday, country music star Alan Jackson on Aug. 15, and for those short on cash there will be a free Air Show featuring skateboard legend Tony Hawk on Tuesday. \nNo fair would be complete without the food. Fairgoers who were thrilled about last year's new treat -- the deep-fried candy bar -- will love the new succulent snack, the deep-fried Twinkie.\n"If you can fry it, we have it," Klotz said.\nEddie Porcelli, owner of Spaghetti Eddie's Zeppoles and Deep-Fried Twinkies, said he discovered the dessert at a "5-star" restaurant in Manhattan and decided to sell it all over the country.\nPorcelli used to run a health food deli at fairs, but decided to switch to junk food because "people don't want to eat healthy at a fair." Still, he claims his deep-fried Twinkie isn't all that bad for you.\n"I think it has 400 calories compared to around 1,600 in an elephant ear," he said.\nEven at $3 a pop, lines were long at Porcelli's booth.\n"Sales have been great so far," he said "People in Indiana like to have fun and it's a fun treat."\nIf the fair's $6 admission, $5 parking fee and all of the delicious fair food are taking a bite out of your wallet, don't fret -- there's still plenty of free activities at the fair. Besides the animal and craft exhibits featured every year, there are plenty of free special events, including an exhibit on Lewis and Clark, a fiddle contest and a world famous card stacker named Bryan Berg. Berg is best known for claiming the Guinness record for the World's Tallest House of Free Standing Playing Cards in 1992.\nOf course this year's State Fair, located at 38th Street and Fall Creek Avenue in Indianapolis, will have all of its old stand-bys, such as the midway rides, animal exhibits and lots of concessions.\nThe animal pavilion was full of action on the opening day. Kids waited nervously before showing their cow, goat, sheep, pig or horse at the 4-H competitions.\nCody Reichart, 11, from Lafayette, waited with all of his family before showing his pig named "Lil' Angel."\nReichart, who has been involved in 4-H for three years, said he doesn't mind the hours of work needed to raise a successful show pig. He said he loves pigs because "they are such fun animals to play with."\n"I treat my pigs just like pets," he said. "Some of them rub up against me and baby them sometimes.\n"Do you want to see a trick I taught them?" Reichart exclaims as he rubs his pig's belly. "See, when I rub her belly, she rolls over."\nReichart said he misses his animals every year when he auctions them off to the slaughterhouse, but said he knows there will be more of them next year.\nEven if the smell of animals turns you off and you don't care for fattening fair food, there is still plenty to do at the fair.\nSalt-water taffy salesman Bill Urrutia of Vedersburg, Ind., said his favorite thing to do at the fair is just watch people as they pass by or walk around and talk to different people.\n"I'm a people person," he said. "And the fair is a place where there are so many interesting people. It's fun to just see everybody come out for it."\nFor more information on the Indiana State Fair, log on to www.indianastatefair.com or call (317) 927-7500.