Califone makes some movie music

('Deceleration Two' - Califone)

With Deceleration Two, Chicago band Califone takes the "concept album" to a new level. This album has three concepts and was partially recorded live (at Columbia College, a music school in Chicago). \n Califone is starting to get prolific with its second release this year already and more in the works. On the band's stop to the Bluebird back in March with Brokeback, the group sounded a little slower, a little more put together and a little folkier. Now, the eclecticism of Tim Rutili, Ben Massarella and company has taken the band a step closer to Cul de Sac than to Califone's own past.\n The first track, "Music for Francis'" even features a spectacular little bit of water splashing in the end. The idea is that this music was written for and performed with set purposes in mind. "Francis" is an animated film by Brett Green, something about an old lady and bears. Tracks two through four (which feature some deep-throated chanting and wicked polyrhythms) are dedicated to a film called "Fireworks." The remainder of the disc pays homage to a play about Herod's lust for his 14-year-old daughter. Ever since I saw those videos of the guys playing in a bathroom on the enhanced disc Roomsound I knew they had bigger plans.