'Angels' is worth seeing

At first glance, "My Three Angels" might appear to have a less-than-ideal situation for comedy. It is set in French Guiana in 1910, the South American country was then a penal colony of the French government. Convicts lived in the hot, tropical colony for the length of their sentences. Largely, this was an attempt by the French government to colonize the area. However, after becoming somewhat established, non-convicts came to live in French Guiana as well, often holding positions of authority over the convicts. The Ducotel family, around which the plot revolves, manages a small store for the inhabitants of the colony.\nThe play takes place on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The Ducotels are having their roof repaired by a trio of convicts -- more specifically, a trio of murderers -- who eavesdrop on the family's business while upon the roof. The good-natured but dimwitted Felix Ducotel, the father of the family, invites the trio to stay for Christmas dinner as repayment; earlier, the trio helped to revive Marie Louise Ducotel, Felix's daughter, after she had a fainting spell. The semi-aristocratic family is tentatively anxious about having three murderers stay for Christmas dinner, but are won over by the convicts' giving spirits. During their stay, the three show nothing but benevolence toward the family, changing their attitude about convicts and helping the family with various problems along the way.\nThis trio of compassionate convicts, played by Chris Nelson, Jose Antonio Garcia and Brad Fletcher, are the most engaging characters of the play. Together, they have a singular stage presence that is entertaining yet touching. The actors have all been seen recently in IU productions: Garcia was most recently in "Lysistrata" and "A Moon For the Misbegotten;" Fletcher was seen in "This is Our Youth" and "Trelawny of the 'Wells;" Nelson also has performed in "A Moon for the Misbegotten" as well as "A Streetcar Named Desire."\nObviously no strangers of the theater, these actors create a dynamic that reaches the audience. Working as a team to help the Ducotel family, each character has a distinct personality that plays well off of the others. Garcia's character is the leader of the group, while Fletcher plays the quick-to-action, violent convict. Nelson holds the role of a fast-talking con man, which lends itself to some hilarious dialogue. Overall, the members of the trio become the most endearing characters of the play, creating an honest interest in the Ducotel's world.\nOther notable performances include those of Allison Batty in the role of Emilie Ducotel and Sam Wootten as Henri Trochard. Batty recently was seen in "A Streetcar Named Desire," while Wootten played a key character in "Lysistrata." In "My Three Angels," their respective characters are on stage for a matter of minutes, but their performances are worth noting. As the wife of the child-like Felix Ducotel, Batty's performance shows the aggravation of a wife married to an irresponsible man while still representing her love for her husband, despite his weaknesses.\nMy Three Angels runs Wednesday to July 27 and July 30 to Aug. 3. Tickets can be purchased at the Brown County Playhouse, Ticketmaster or the IU Auditorium Box Office.