Win over Brown puts IU in first-ever Final Four

No. 13 Hoosiers beat the Bears to make NCAA Championships

For the first time in the six-year history of the program, the IU women's water polo team has made it to the NCAA Championships.\nThe Hoosiers defeated Brown on Sunday afternoon, 7-5, and reserved a place in the NCAA women's water polo final four. \n"At the beginning of the year I knew this was as good of a group as I have ever had," coach Barry King said. "I knew if any team was going to get it done it would be this group of girls." \nAt the beginning of the Eastern Division Championships, the Hoosiers anticipated playing the top seed Michigan in the finals, but the Wolverines were upset by Brown University. \n"To tell you the truth, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to play Michigan in the finals," King said. "It would have been more fitting to go through them since they are the defending champs."\nIn the game against Brown, sophomore Krista Peterson had one of the best games of her career, scoring five goals en route to being named the most valuable player of the Eastern Championships. \nOn the defensive side of the ball sophomore Jessica Goldner was magnificent in goal, stopping 11 of 19 shots. \n"It would have been nice to beat Michigan, but it took a little pressure off by playing Brown," Goldner said. "We knew Brown was a good team, and it would be a fight until the end."\nIn order to play Brown in the finals, the Hoosiers had to first get past some stiff competition from third seeded Princeton. Yet the Hoosiers played one of their best games of the season and beat the Tigers 5-1.\n"The Princeton game was the most dominating performance I have ever had any of my teams play," King said. "We were great defensively, very aggressive, and Jesse was spectacular."\nGoldner's 19 saves helped the Hoosiers' defense shut out Princeton until the last 1:40 of the game. \n"Princeton was one of the best games this team has played," Goldner said. "Everything was working, and everybody played good. It was just a great game to get us into the NCAAs." \nOn the offensive side of the ball, senior Kristin Stanford led the way for IU with two goals. As well as Peterson, junior Kristy Streefkerk and freshman Emily Schmitt contributed with one goal each. \nIn the first game of the tournament the Hoosiers beat 10th seed George Washington, 9-6. Peterson led the Hoosiers scoring attack with three goals and two assists. \nIU will travel to the University of California, San Diego, in La Jolla, Calif., to compete in the NCAA Championships, May 10 and11. Its first game will be against Stanford as it looks to bring home the first NCAA water polo championship to IU.