Trustees OK 3.45% dorm price increase

Room rates jump about $196; meal prices won't change

The cost of living in the dorms will go up again next year after the IU board of trustees approved a 6 percent increase in room cost at their monthly meeting Friday.\nOn average, the increase will mean students will pay $196 per year more for their rooms.\nResidential Programs and Services Executive Director Pat Connor said the increase, which is greater than the 3 to 4 percent average annual increase, is because of rising insurance costs for RPS employees and new construction projects.\nConnor said there will be no increase in meal plan costs, so overall cost of room and board will be increased 3.45 percent.\nAt the trustees' meeting in March, Connor presented his plan alongside Residential Housing Association members who voiced their concern about rising costs.\nOver a year ago, RPS decided to repeal its rate freeze for students who remain in dorms after their freshman year because it was causing freshmen to pay more for housing. Nearly 70 percent of students living in residence halls are freshmen, so the rate freeze was beneficial to only 30 percent of dorm residents. When they decided to end their freeze, RPS promised room and board rate increases would never exceed 3 to 4 percent.\nOne RHA member, senior Eric Hafner, said at the March meeting he was upset RPS decided to go against its promise.\n"We went to the trustee meeting to tell them that we were not happy with rates to be higher than promised," Hafner said.\nStill, Connor said RPS did not go against its promise because the 6 percent increase is only for housing, while the overall room and board increase fulfills its deal.\nConnor said the increase is not one which was easy to agree upon.\n"Nobody is happy when there is an increase," he said. "There were concerns about the amount of the increase at the time and I know we have talked with IUSA and the RHA student group. They felt comfortable with the increase. Everything considered they would like to see it less, but they saw the full package and they felt acceptable increase in the cost."\nConnor said the funds from the increase will go toward projects which will benefit the University.\n"The increase goes to provide increased salary and wages and continued improvement of the residence halls," he said. "These funds will ensure rehabilitation of student housing."\nIn addition, Connor said 1 percent of the rate increase will go to fund capital projects such as new construction.\nTrustee Sue Talbot said she feels the increase is necessary because of a lack of state support for repair and rehabilitation funding.\n"You got to look at the price of inflation and repair," she said. "We can't wait for an emergency situation. If we don't fix the dorms now, they might get worse later. The state's in trouble and we have to be responsible."\nConnor said despite the increase, IU still maintains competitive in housing rates compared to other universities.\n"We are one of the lowest increases of any school in the Big Ten," he said. "We've gone from the third highest in the Big Ten, to eighth."\nTalbot said she feels the increase should not cause serious financial trouble for students.\n"It's pretty minimal overall," she said. "We have tried hard not to do this. We have kept increases from coming for a long time. So it's not that much"