Trustees consider IUSB housing

Regional campus would be only affiliate with student dorms

During its monthly meeting at IU-South Bend, the board of trustees will discuss today and vote Friday on whether to create student housing at the South Bend campus. If passed, IUSB will be the first regional campus, besides IU-Purdue University Indianapolis to have student housing.\nCurrently, IUSB rents 38 houses to students, but the proposal would effectively remove these rental units in favor of creating dormitories. \nIUSB junior Jedediah Walls said he is afraid the costs of the new housing will be too great for these students.\n"I think it is an absolutely stupid idea," he said. "I think the lowest they said they would charge is $347 a month. Right now, I pay $290 a month for a house. So, it is way too expensive. \nStudent trustee Sacha Willsey said she feels it is about time IUSB students are given a place to stay.\n"Since I began as a trustee, I've heard all of the regional campuses ask for student housing," she said. "So, I'm really excited about this issue."\nWillsey said some of the benefits of student housing include bonding with other students.\n"Students feel more of a part of campus, and they make better friends if they actually live on campus," she said.\nWalls said he feels there are problems standing in the way.\n'It might do more to turn us from a commuter campus to a community, but you have to get students to move in there, and what they're proposing right now is too expensive," he said. "The only people that will decide to do it is the occasional international student who doesn't know any better, but they won't stay there very long. Not at the current price."\nEconomic Development\nAt Friday's external relations committee meeting, Vice President for Public Affairs Bill Stephan will give a preview of IU's Economic Development Presentation.\nThe main focus of Stephan's speech will be IU's role in improving the economic well-being of Indiana, in the life sciences initiative and the Kelley School of Business.\n"IU contributes significantly to the well-being of Indiana," he said. "IU is in the thick of impacting Indiana's future."\nHe said despite IU's extensive influence on the state's financial situation, many are unaware of IU's importance to Indiana.\n"There are many who don't understand the contributions IU is making," he said.\nFor this reason his office is creating a presentation to summarize the activities for various audiences. At the trustee meeting, Stephan will present a video to the committee that will aid in the Economic Development Presentation.\nStephan said IU should take increased initiative to improve the economy of the state and advertise its improvements. In the long run, an improved state economy will also help IU.\n"If the state is struggling, IU will be challenged," he said. "If the state is prospering, then IU will prosper."\nIn order to most effectively express their needs, Stephan said IU has worked with other Indiana colleges, namely Purdue University.\n"It is fair to say we work more closely with Purdue than ever," he said.\nStephan said IU and Purdue have collaborated with the legislature and worked together in developing scientific research such as studying the proteins expressed by certain genes. \nOther Issues\nThe remainder of the Board of Trustees meeting will involve preparation for the next meetings. \nThe board will hear a presentation by Chief Financial Officer Judith Palmer on the state of tuition in a national context.\nTrustee President Fred Eichhorn said the discussion will be primarily used to inform and educate the board in order to prepare for action to be taken at later meetings on what to do about IU's tuition rates.\nThe board will also vote on the approval of an increase of housing rates for the Bloomington campus. At its February meeting, Residential Programs and Services Director Pat Connor proposed a six percent increase in housing, and no increase in food costs.\nUsually, housing rates increase by only 3 to 4 percent each year, but due to rising insurance costs for RPS employees and construction projects, this year's increase will be greater, Connor said.\nIn addition, the trustees will vote on whether or not Lauren Robel, acting dean of the IU School of Law in Bloomington, should continue as the school's permanent dean. \nAdam VanOsdol contributed to this story