Their 'time to shine'

Possible rainstorm could hamper today's race

For 31 teams, their time to shine has finally arrived. \nAt 4 p.m. today, the 31-team field will mount their Mongooses and attempt to ride into Little 500 history at the women's race. \nThroughout the 2003 Little 500 season, the race has taken its own form. Beginning with an 18-day delay in the track opening due to inclement weather, the 50 days since has been witness to a barrage of headline-worthy events. Whether it be injuries, surprise times, outstanding individuals or cohesive teams, the past month and a half has given lifelong memories to many.\nAll the preparation might be put on hold for one more day if Mother Nature doesn't cooperate. According to the National Weather Service, there is a 90 percent chance of rain today with temperatures in the mid-60 degree range.\nThe women race 100 laps, which equals 25 miles. \nThe 16th running of the women's Little 500 race features a fresh face on the pole position. Phi Mu qualified for the top spot with a time of 2:46.071 and features a foursome of veteran riders with senior Analisa Dziedziejko and juniors Annika Hosni, Amanda Litvan and Katy Mancini. \nThe team has had a target on their backs since that day in late March. But when the race begins, Phi Mu, along with the rest of the field, will have one goal in mind -- riding hard, riding fast and winning.\n"I put pressure on myself," Hosni said. "I know what I can do, and it's the pressure of actually being able to do it."\nWith the front two rows housing some of the most storied Little 500 teams in women's history, the race should be among the most competitive this decade.\nNext to Phi Mu is one of the biggest surprises of this year's race in Alpha Chi Omega.\nAfter revamping their entire cycling program, Alpha Chi Omega, headed by senior Liz Keck qualified second with a time of 2:46.892. \nSandwiched in between Phi Mu and Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Chi Omega has stiff competition to keep them rolling.\nAfter finishing second last year behind the Roadrunners, Kappa Kappa Gamma is due for a victory -- their last came in 1999. Led by three-year veteran senior Meg Haney, junior Alison Edwards and sophomores Meredith Horner and Kelsey Cooper, the women are riding by the motto 'Leave everything on the track.'\n"We want to do as good as we can," Horner said. "We just have to have the confidence in ourselves and each other as a whole. And hopefully from there, we'll see what happens."\nKappa Kappa Gamma will be sporting the coveted white jerseys for destroying the field during the Little 500 series events, defeating second place Kappa Alpha Theta by 66 points in the series events standings.\nTwo-time defending champion Roadrunners, who qualified 11th this year without superstar Jenn Wangerin, are on a quest for the first ever three-peat in women's Little 500 history. To do so, they will have to battle past Kappa Alpha Theta, whose dynasty is looking for a rebirth with a victory.\n"I think we're pretty strong," coach Tom Schwoegler said. "We're four deep, and we're pretty happy with how our training is going. I think the girls are pretty wound tight for race day. They're ready to go, as I think most people are."\nOne team in the field did suffer a devastating blow to their chances to contend for their title. While they will still be among the top pack, Team Athena lost senior Allison Ware to a broken collar bone during Team Pursuit. The injury sidelined her and will make her teammates, senior Melissa Stenger, junior Anna Schwartz and freshman Micki Metz, prove to the rest of the field that the highest qualifying independent team wasn't riding on Ware's shoulders. \nBut one rider might be able to give the entire field a run for their money. \nJunior Corey Bitzer of Alpha Gamma Delta has the speed to outrun any team on the track. The Individual Time Trial champion, Bitzer will assume most of the laps for her ninth place team. \nAnother individual to watch out for is junior Bri Kovac of Teter women. One of the faster, more experienced riders in the race, Kovac will be among those to watch when she comes off the pits and speeds past the rest of the pack.\nAs the starting gun blasts today, all predictions will be thrown out the window as the 31 teams vie for the chance to wear the yellow jersey -- given to the defending champion -- next year. Crashes will happen, tears will fall, smiles will prevail and most of all, memories will be made. \nBut the joy of victory will only be had by one team, while 30 others will just have to wait until next year.\n"It's going to be tough," Hosni said. "It's going to be fun. And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it"