Team finishes invite eighth

Disappointing scores put NCAAs in question

In its quest for an NCAA berth, the men's golf team battled the top teams in its region and Big Ten on its way to an eighth place finish this weekend at the Fossum/Taylor Made Invitational.\nThe men in crimson and cream started the weekend shooting one of their worst rounds of the season, a 16-over-par, 306 as a team, Saturday in the first round. IU regained its composure in the second round Saturday and shot a five-over-par 293. \nFor all the dismal play by the Hoosiers, they still had one glimmer of hope. Sophomore Jeff Overton shot a 66 in the second round to set a Fossum/Taylor Made Invitational lo with round for this year's tournament. He came back and shot a one-under-par, 71 Sunday to give him a two-under-par, 214 for the tournament, leaving him tied for eighth. \n"I'm really pleased with how Jeff came back after a poor first round," coach Mike Mayer said. "He battled back and showed what a true competer he is."\nFor the rest of the Hoosiers, the weekend brought some undesirable scores. \nSophomore Heath Peters shot a nine-over-par, 225 for the weekend, tying him for 34th place. Senior captain Ben Davidson and freshman Scott Seibert both shot 15-over-par, 231, to leave them tied for 49th place. Senior Aldo Jordan finished last for the Hoosiers with a 21-over-par 237 for the weekend, leaving him tied for 69th. \nWith its worst finish of the entire season under its belts, IU now has its mind set on next weekend and the Big Ten Championships. But in order for the squad to come out successful, the five playing must get on the same page, an issue the team has had since the fall season.\n"We're getting a couple guys to play well," Peters said. "We still haven't had a tournament where everyone is playing good golf. Everyone has had a bad round sometime this season."\nThe Hoosiers don't have much time to get everything accomplished as they enter the week determined and anxious.\nEspecially for Peters, who earlier this season went in one week from a remarkable victory to almost dead-last in consecutive tournaments. He said he is hoping for the Big Ten's to be his break-out tourney.\n"I really do (feel we are due for a good tournament)," Peters said. "We have been beating around the bush. We are right on the edge of having a good tournament. I've been in a funk the last couple of tournaments and being on the home turf is added confidence. It gives us a little edge."\nFor Peters and the rest of the squad, this weekend came at the right time. Better to get the poor play out of their system before the biggest tourney of the year.\nWith the Hoosiers in District IV and on the verge of securing a spot in the NCAAs, finishing behind fifth-place Ohio State and sixth-place Toledo leaves the team with a lot of catching up to do this weekend.\n"I think we're in good shape to come out and play a good tournament this weekend and hopefully win," Peters said.