Spring game just another practice

Cream and Crimson game will preview next season's football team

While a good chunk of the student body sees Little 500 week as an excuse to party every night, the IU football team spent the week preparing for the Cream and Crimson game, which begins at 7 p.m. tonight. Not only is the event free for students, but it will also give fans a glimpse of Notre Dame transfer and junior Matt LoVecchio who will most likely be this fall's quarterback. \nLoVecchio said spring practice is an exciting time for the team so they can improve and work on fundamentals. \n"I'm trying to progress each day upon the mistakes that I've made," LoVecchio said. "I think it's just a matter of all the guys on offense getting in sync with each other."\nLoVecchio led the Irish to the Fiesta Bowl his freshman year and said his move to IU was because of a gut feeling and he's happy with the decision he made.\nHe said he likes the opportunity presented in spring ball and the 15 practices they are allowed.\n"I think anytime you can get out there on the field and get better as a team, you take that opportunity," LoVecchio said. "Friday is just another chance for us to practice, execute and perform."\nSophomore wide receiver Courtney Roby said he's anxious for the spring game and that it is the biggest part of spring ball. He said it's a drastic step to adjust to a new quarterback, but that the team has been taking some major steps forward.\nDefensive coordinator Tim Kish said he hopes to see the defense and offense shine in Friday night's game. He said what he hopes for, and what's expected most, is that everyone plays hard.\n"I'm going to tell these guys that no matter what side of the ball they're on, or what team they're on, that I'm going to look at who's playing the hardest at the beginning of the game and playing the same way at the end of the game," Kish said.\nEverybody has stepped up their level of play this spring, Kish said, and it's been a good growing experience for the team. He said he would like to see students come out to the game and show their support for a team that's been working so hard.\n"We're trying to establish a tradition here a little bit with football," Kish said. "I think it really means a lot to the players, it certainly does to the coaches, to see people support the team."\nLoVecchio said he hopes to see a good crowd too and said the team wants to be efficient in Friday's game and eliminate as many mistakes as possible.\n"They'll see a team that's been working hard throughout this entire spring and winter," LoVecchio said. "We're just looking to get better as each day goes by."\nRoby said the main reason for students to come to the game is to show their support.\n"It's the spring game and it's going to be a lot of fun," Roby said. "It's a big deal for us, they should come on out"