On the Sidelines

Select athletes to compete\nThe No. 14 IU women's track and field team will be sending four representatives out West this weekend to compete at the Mt. Sac Relays. The event will feature top talent from around the nation.\nSeniors Rose Richmond, Danielle Carruthers, Rachelle Boone and junior Lauren Chesnut will travel to Walnut, Calif. Richmond will compete in the long jump, Carruthers in the 100 meter hurdles, Boone in the 100 and 200 meter dash, and Chesnut in a distance event.\nThis weekend was scheduled as an open weekend, but the coaching staff took advantage of the competition to send a few of their athletes to the meet. The rest of the team will be off until next weekend.\nCubs' power out-does Reds\nCHICAGO -- Pitcher Kerry Wood hit his fifth career home run, Sammy Sosa hit his 503rd and the Chicago Cubs routed the Cincinnati Reds 16-3 Thursday.\nHee Seop Choi and Mark Grudzielanek also went deep for the Cubs, who scored at least 10 runs against the Reds for the third straight day. Chicago hadn't done that since August 1894, according to team historian Ed Hartig.\nSosa hit his third homer in as many days, leaving him one shy of Eddie Murray for 17th place on the career list. All four of Sosa's home runs this season have come against Cincinnati.\nChoi has also homered in three straight games, and Chicago has won three straight for the first time this year.\nAdam Dunn hit his sixth homer of the year, tying teammate Austin Kearns for the NL lead, but that wasn't nearly enough to keep pace with the Cubs. It was the most runs allowed by the Reds since a 16-7 loss to Colorado on Aug. 10, 2001.\nCincinnati has dropped five of six.\nJimmy Haynes gave up 10 runs and 10 hits in 4 2-3 innings, becoming the first Reds pitcher to lose his first four starts since Joey Jay lost his first five in 1963.\nBig Unit's status uncertain for start\nPHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks won't know whether Randy Johnson will be able to make his next scheduled start until at least Saturday.\nThe Big Unit was supposed to pitch Wednesday night against Colorado, but was sidelined with swelling under his right kneecap. The problem first bothered Johnson after his start last Friday night, then flared up again after his regular bullpen session Monday.\nIt was only the second time in three seasons that Johnson missed a start.\nDiamondbacks manager Bob Brenly said Thursday that Johnson will throw on the side Saturday in St. Louis, and that should determine his status for his next scheduled outing Tuesday in Montreal.