Mezzo-Soprano to sing at IU

Graham warms up for her April debut at Carnegie Hall

Internationally acclaimed mezzo-soprano Susan Graham will give a solo recital at the IU Auditorium at 8 p.m. Thursday. Graham's IU performance is part of her 2003 North American Recital Tour, which will end with a flourish as Graham makes her Carnegie Hall debut in mid-April. \nA rising star in the music world, Graham made headlines when she premiered the role of Sister Helen Prejean with the San Francisco Opera in composer Jake Heggie's operatic version of 'Dead Man Walking.' The thought provoking and intense new opera opened in the fall of 2000 to immediate praise by critics and audiences. It has since been performed by other opera companies throughout the U.S. Graham plans to reprise her role of Sister Helen in the future.\nGraham's recent ascent to star status was one of the main factors in the decision to bring her to IU. \n"Susan Graham is certainly one of the latest stars of the operatic world," said Doug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium, adding that Graham's youth and vitality were qualities that factored into the Auditorium's decision. \n"It's the combination of established talent with the opportunity for growth," said Matthew Mindrum, an Auditorium customer relations specialist.\nThursday night's program will feature three arias from Graham's latest compact disc, including the title work 'C'est ca la vie, c'est ca l'amour' by Moises Simons. Released on the Paris-based Erato label last April, the CD consists of French operetta arias: appropriate since Graham takes a strong interest in French music and has received the distinction of Chevalier of the Order of Arts and Letters from the French government, which honors notable artists for outstanding contributions to their disciplines. \nAlong with her interest in everything French, (she also owns a French poodle named Libby), Graham is a strong proponent of contemporary American composers. Before she became involved with Heggie's 'Dead Man Walking' project, Graham released a CD featuring the songs of Ned Rorem, an icon in modern music composition, who was born in Richmond, Indiana. In 2000 Gramophone Magazine nominated Graham's CD of Rorem songs for 'Best Recital Disc'.\nBoth Auditorium officials and Music School faculty members were eager to feature Graham in the '02-'03 season. \n"Ms. Graham was someone they were equally excited about having," Booher said. Although Graham's visit will be too brief for her to give any masterclasses or lectures at the School of Music, Booher said she will be "taking some time … to see friends".\nTimothy Noble, a professor of voice at IU who has known Graham for the past eighteen years, said he intends to "say hello [to Graham] on Thursday." \n"What I like best about her is that she is genuine," Noble said.\n"What you see is what you get; an endearing quality in the music business today." \nTicket sales for Graham's performance so far have not lived up to expectations. \n"We're expecting a lot of walk-in sales," Mindrum said. "There are still plenty of good seats available."\nThose interested in attending Graham's recital can contact the Auditorium Ticket Office at 855 -1103 or purchase tickets at the box office half an hour prior to the performance. Prices range from $22-$37 for the general public and $12-$22 for IU students.