IU trash could be your treasure

Ever wondered what happens to the old tables, chairs and dressers when a residence hall gets new furniture? Or where old computers go when campus labs are replaced? Or what happens to the old basketball rims and exercise equipment from the Student Recreational Sports Center?\nMany of these items end up at the IU Surplus Store.\nWhen IU gets new stuff, it tries to find a place within the University for its old stuff. If that's not possible, the old furniture, computers and equipment go to the surplus store, 2931 E. Tenth St.\nAbout 90 percent of the merchandise in the store, which used to be a warehouse for office supplies, falls into the categories of furniture or computers. But if you look closely, there are treasures.\nThe store, which opened in 1994 but only recently to the public, has carried everything from barber chairs to card catalogues, industrial-size kitchen mixers to Marching Hundred band uniforms.\n"We carry anything IU wants to get rid of," said Roger Stout, an employee at the store.\nOver the years, the store has seen some unusual items.\nEarlier this year, the store had to sell a dance floor that had been in the Poplars Building, a former sorority house. They turned to eBay, as they do on occasion, and found a buyer in Ohio.\nAnd when Myers Hall was cleaned out, it was the store's responsibility to sell several metal containers with wheels and roll-top covers -- cadaver tanks.\nIf you were looking, those are no longer available.\nBut you're in luck if you're looking for a photocopier, typewriter, fax machine or a safe without a key or combination. They also have cleaning equipment, old IU Outdoor Adventures tents and study tables from the Main Library lobby.\nMany of the items are sold individually, but others are sold as lots. For those items, sealed bids are taken every six to eight weeks, from small business owners, students and even local school districts.\nThe next few weeks are the busiest time of the year for the store, as students move out and campus departments take stock of what they no longer need. With a better selection, it's also the best time to buy.\nIndividually, you can get most computers for less than $400. Chairs and tables range from $10 to $50. As lots, 15 or so computer monitors or hard drives can go for as low as $50.\nIf you're looking for a particular item, you can sign up for the surplus store e-mail list, and they'll let you know if they get the item you want in stock.\nThe store only takes checks and money orders and is open 8 to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.