IU captures win in first home tourney

The IU women's track and field team outscored Indiana State and Central Michigan to win its first home meet of the season, and in the process nine Hoosiers posted NCAA regional qualifying marks. \nCoach Randy Heisler said he is impressed by the team's efforts. \n"Any time an athlete gets a personal best or a season best, you can't ask any more than that," he said. \nDuring the first two weeks of the season, seven Hoosiers had posted regional qualifying marks in individual or relay events. Seniors Rose Richmond, Danielle Carruthers and Rachelle Boone, junior Lauren Chesnut, sophomores Ara Towns and Mindy Peterson and freshman Andrea Dalla Rosa each went into Saturday's meet with qualifying performances. \nCarruthers, who had previously posted qualifying times as a member of the 4x100 meter relay, qualified in the 100m hurdles in her first competition in the event this season. \nCarruthers said that she is encouraged by her strong performance and glad to get the first race out of the way.\n"It was good to get some of the jitters out because it was the first race of the season," she said.\nSenior Irina Kharun added herself to the list of qualifiers this weekend. Her javelin throw is currently the second-best throw in the nation this season and the second-best in IU history. Also qualifying were seniors Tandra Foster in the long jump, Kelley McKinney in the hammer throw, sophomore Emily Tharpe in the pole vault and freshman Jean Shaffer in the high jump. \nPeterson, the winner of the 5,000-meter run, qualified in the event in addition to setting a personal record. She said she is convinced her distance teammates are headed in the right direction toward attaining several more qualifying times. \n"We know we're ready to run faster," she said.\nHeisler also said he expects the distance runners to step up their performances in the weeks to come. \n"I'm excited because I think the distance athletes are ready to run," he said.\nPeterson said that it was beneficial to have the entire team together at the meet. For the previous meets, the team had been divided among several invitationals across the nation.\n"It was nice to be all here together," she said. "It helps to have the team and to be at home"