HDNet plans to televise bike race

Little 500 to be broadcast in high definition format

For years, watching "Breaking Away" was the only way, short of attending the Little 500, to enjoy its true sights and sounds. Now there's another option.\nThe 2003 Little 500 will be brought to viewers across the country by HDNet in high definition sound and a movie theater-like 16:9 aspect ratio. Technical aspects aside, HDNet's broadcast of the event will also bring more national exposure to both IU and HDNet as a company. \n"It's really exciting for us, we've seen over the years that when big things happen to the race, such as with 'Breaking Away,' success brings success," IUSF Director Jonathan Purvis said. "It allows us to do our job better and to connect more people to the University. It's good for us to get national exposure and it's good for them to get more attention to their network."\nHDNet's motives in bringing the Little 500 to national exposure come from many factors. Most professional sports are already tied to existing contracts and HDNet spokeswoman Sherry Yeaman said there is a desire to bring a wider variety of programs to audiences.\nOf course, IU Alumnus and HDNet co-founder, president and chairman Mark Cuban may have also helped Little 5's cause. \n"We're a family-need network and we want to have as much variety and quality of programming on our network," Yeaman said. "So we show things that may not make national television in order to appeal to a wider audience." \nThe Little 500 was first introduced into the national scope with the 1979 movie "Breaking Away", which amassed five Academy Award nominations, a Golden Globe and an Oscar for best screenplay. Bolstered by the movie's success, the Little 500 went on to be covered by CBS, ESPN, Fox Sports and the Outdoor Life Channel in following years. After such success in the normal television format, both IUSF directors and HDNet representatives are confident the race will be successful with its completely different experience and its new-found sound and color.\n"If there is a pack of cyclists you could see 25 as opposed to maybe 12-15 on a normal television," Yeaman said. "You can also see expressions on athletes' faces, the sweat on their brow, you can see faces of the people in the stands; it's all in focus. I would say it's more of an experience than actually being there."\nIn contrast to Yeaman's thoughts, IUSF Assistant Director Alex Ihnen said he believes the best experience is to be at the race in the flesh, but he is also a strong supporter of the Little 500's jump to high-definition format.\n"Nothing beats it live, as Lance Armstrong said back in '97, it's the coolest event in sports and every fan should see it," Ihnen said. "What's great about HDTV is that it is as close to the excitement as it can be without being there."\nTo add to the experience, HDNet's presentation of the race will be in 1080i HD, which is the highest-quality format of high-definition television. The race will be broadcast live along with a one hour package at 7 p.m. April 25, featuring previews of the men's race along with highlights from the women's Little 500.\nHowever, IUSF representatives are quick to point out that the truncated format of the women's race is not due to its importance, but because of other concerns such as cost.\n"It's a matter of programming time that they have," Purvis said. "They simply weren't able to cover two events."\nThe HDNet organization isn't the only one with money issues, as most college students don't have a HDTV. Such students need not worry, as both Yogi's and the Bloomington City Grill have HDTVs and will be showing the event.\nWith all of the excitement the Little 500 weekend typically brings to Bloomington, having national exposure only adds to the enthusiasm.\n"I think it's awesome, it's a breakthrough," Ihnen said. "There's a remarkable difference between HDTV and normal television and to have it cover the premiere amateur cycling event of the country in the highest quality is unbelievable"