Disc golf: A basket in one

Golfer Jason Nawrot, a Bloomington resident, eyes his target as he begins to tee off. He pulls his arms back, twists his hips and releases across the course. But there is no nine iron in his hand, or any sort of golf club. Nawrot is one of thousands of Americans who choose to play golf with a frisbee instead of a ball.\nResidents from as close as Bloomington and as far as South Bend, Ind., came April 25 to Karst Farm Park to compete in the 2003 Limestone Open in order to play a sport they love, known as disc golf, frisbee golf or just "frolf."\nIt's a sport many people have never heard of, but it is gaining national popularity. From its humble beginnings in the 1970s, the sport has exploded nationally. According to The Professional Disc Golf Association's Web site, the first disc golf course was established in Pasadena, Calif., in 1975. Now there are over 1,200 courses nationally, with an average of 100 courses built every year. Bloomington boasts two places to play this golf alternative, at Karst Farm Park and Crestmont Park.\nBloomington resident Chris Golden, organizer for the Bloomington Disc Golf Club, says disc golf is a less expensive alternative to actual golf, because the rules are fairly similar. The primary difference being, in place of a ball, players use plastic discs and try to throw them into chain baskets. \nGolden says the game's simple rules make disc golf such an easy sport to play.\n"The great thing about disc golf is that anybody can play it," says Tony Hoel, a Kokomo resident. "It doesn't really take a lot of skill. You don't need to be athletic. It's a sport for everyone." \nAge is not an issue either. Bloomington resident Nelson Cano said he has seen players range from eight years in age to older than 70.\nOne such young competitor is 13-year-old Brenton Barrow, a seventh grader at Bachelor Middle School in Bloomington. He says he became involved in disc golf after a summer camp introduced him to the sport.\n"I like playing around all of the pros who really teach you how to play well," Barrow says.\nIn order to get started with disc golf, Golden says players can just use an old frisbee they have lying around the house, but the serious players invest more time and money into the sport.\nInstead of using a frisbee, competitors use plastic discs that are much thinner and smaller than a regular frisbee. There are different discs for different throws. For the tee-offs there are lighter, thinner "drivers" which will go farther, and for putting there are thicker "putters" that float better for easier aim over short distances.\n"Everybody has their own technique in choosing what disc to throw," says Scott Hommema, an Indianapolis resident. "For example, (Indianapolis resident) Jim (Trueblood) here, he just throws the same disc different strengths in order to get it in the basket."\nIt is this combination of simplicity and skill which encouraged Golden to join the Bloomington Disc Golf Club, which was started three years ago by Mark Moore. Bloomington residents Moore, Golden and James Stogdill were the only real members in the beginning. By the end of their first year they had 15 members and currently they have 69. Each participant pays only $10 for the entire year and is given unlimited access to league play.\nWith golfers from all parts of Indiana traveling to Bloomington to participate in the BDGC, Golden says Bloomington is a great place to play disc golf. In addition to having two parks at which to play, each park has 18 baskets (most parks only have nine). \nFor those that want to feel like a real professional, Indian Springs Disc Golf Course in Trafalgar, Ind., lets disc golfers play at a regular golf course.\n"If you haven't played disc golf at a real golf course, you should," Golden says. "It's disc golf in a whole new light."\nOptions are also open for anyone to set up a personal disc golf course. Disc golf target baskets range from $100-$300. Profes-sional courses range from 150 to 400 feet for each hole and require 18 to 30 acres for the entire course, but for casual backyard competitions, any size will do, Golden says.\nAccording to the PDGA, a well-designed course will have ample space, variety in terrain, and obstacles such as trees to keep the game interesting.\nPeople play disc golf for a variety of reasons. Cano says he started because he enjoyed being outside. Hoel says he likes the fact that it is free to play at most courses, unlike regular golf. \n"I started playing disc golf because it is a sport that not many other people play," says Mike Green, a junior.\nStill, others see disc golf as more than just a sport, but a way of bringing people together.\n"I just enjoy the people and the atmosphere," Hoel says. "Disc golfers are real nice people and it's nice to spend time doing something we have in common."\nFor more information on Disc Golf log on to the Bloomington Disc Golf Club at www.bdgc.org or the Profession Disc Golf Association at www.pdga.org.