Teams have rough break, both lose matches

Even a change in the doubles lineup was not enough for No. 21 IU men's tennis team to outplay No. 24 Georgia Tech on Friday. The Hoosiers fell 5-2 in the match.\nThe loss brought the Hoosiers to 10-3 on the season, with all the losses coming to teams in the top 25. \nAfter missing IU's last match with an injured thumb, sophomore Jakub Praibis defeated No. 39 Roger Anderson in straight sets 6-4, 6-3. His victory made up half of the Hoosiers singles victories. The other came from sophomore Tom Bagnato who defeated Marko Rajevac, 7-5, 6-4 bringing his personal mark to 5-4 for the year and 3-1 spring season.\nIn the doubles bracket the Hoosiers took home one victory out of three matches with the first-time team of freshmen John Stone and Viktor Libal winning their match. They defeated Joao Menano and Jason Pieters of Georgia Tech, 9-7.\nThe Hoosiers' match against Auburn on Wednesday was canceled. The next match for the men's tennis team is on March 29, when it hosts No. 75 Penn State. \nOn the other half of the IU's tennis program, the women did not fare any better than the men.\nEnding its spring break under the sun of Florida, the Hoosiers women's tennis team was defeated by the University of South Florida 5-2, which ended a three-match winning streak. \nThe loss brought the women's record to 8-8. \nUSF swept through the five of six singles matches. But sophomore Jessica Groth defeated Belen Pandre in a three sets tiebreaker, 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (8). This was her third win in her last four matches. \nDespite the poor showing in singles, the Hoosiers came back in doubles and won two of their three matches to win the doubles point.\nJunior Martina Grimm and freshman Sarah Batty defeated Fabiana Taverna and Luisa Obando 8-2 in No. 1 doubles. In No. 2 doubles, junior Linda Tran and sophomore Dominika Walterova beat Patricia Kolendo and Talia Romero 8-2.\nIU's next match is on March 28, when the Hoosiers travel to Penn State.