Record win has IU back on track

Team sets mark for lowest three-round score with Lady Seahawk invitational title

The IU women's golf team headed south this week to compete in the Lady Seahawk Invitational hosted by UNC-Wilmington in Wallace, N.C. The No. 30 ranked Hoosiers were led by strong performances by juniors Karen Dennison and Danah Ford as the team captured its third title of the year in record fashion. The squad's 54-hole 885 score set the school record for lowest three-round score and the team's first-round 289 was the third lowest in school history. \nDennison and Ford fired final round 70s (-2) to lift the Hoosiers to the championship. The team needed every stroke as it edged Campbell University by one to claim the title. Coach Sam Carmichael said he was pleased with the team's performance. \n"The girls played really outstanding today on a good golf course," Carmichael said. "To have two sub-par scores is quite an accomplishment. We are starting to show signs that we're getting into season form, which is encouraging."\nAfter the first 36 holes of golf, IU sat in second place, only one stroke behind the Camels of Campbell University. Dennison led the charge by shooting a 73 and 71 in her first two rounds and finished in third place for the tournament. Her three round total also tied for third best in school history. Ford's final round 70 moved her into fifth place and was her personal best 18-hole round. Ford's three-round 219 also marked a personal best, shattering her previous record by five strokes.\nSenior Cara Stuckey and junior Ambry Bishop improved their scores every round of the tournament as they finished in a tie for 26th place. Junior Mary Lidester rounded out the Hoosier scoring, finishing in 35th place.\nLast week the team traveled to Port St. Lucie, Fla. to shoot 18 holes against Rutgers University. The Hoosiers defeated the Scarlet Knights by 42 strokes, 302-344. All six Hoosier golfers placed higher than any of their competitors from Rutgers. Dennison, who shot a 73 (+1), and Bishop, 76 (+4), led the Hoosiers to victory.\nThe Hoosiers started the season off strong winning two tournaments and placed no lower than third place during the fall. A break for winter seemed to halt the Hoosiers' momentum as they struggled to regain their form, but with the recent successes in Florida and North Carolina the team seems to be back on course. \nThe team will embark on a tough stretch where it will play a string of Big Ten opponents. Next weekend, April 5 and 6, the Hoosiers will host the Indiana Invitational. After the Invitational the team has one more tournament, the Ohio State Invitational, before the Big Ten Championships April 25 and 26.