Optimism high as spring season training begins

Spring football practice opens Saturday with 69 healthy players to work with. After last year's record of 3-9, 1-7 in the Big Ten, the team is looking to make some serious changes this spring that will effect their play in the fall.\nOne of the changes that occurred already is the move of junior Herana-Daze Jones from linebacker to strong safety. Jones is the team's top returning tackler and had 108 tackles last season.\n"I think this is a good move for me," Jones said. "I'll accept any move for me on the team as long as I can help the team out. I've got a new position to play, and it gives me a new excitement to start up practice."\nThe team will only have eight seniors in the fall. Senior safety Joe Gonzalez returns to the lineup as the most experienced senior with 36 games played. He sat out most of last season because of a hernia.\nWhile last year's record doesn't show anything outstanding, the Hoosiers did manage to break the school record for passing yards in a season with 3,020 yards through the air.\nJunior defensive lineman Jodie Clemons said he has been thinking in the off-season about how he can improve and become a better player for the team.\n"I thought a lot about how bad of a season we had last year," Clemons said. \nClemons started all of last season's 12 games at right end and said in order for the team to be successful in the fall, they have got to work on their stop and run.\nJones also said their stopping the run was important to their success.\n"We actually have a lot to work on," Jones said. "We need to also be faster and get the team more committed on some level."\nJones said he's ready for spring football and ready to get back into the swing of things. He also said spring football is good chance for him to improve. \nClemons is excited about getting into the swing of things as well but said it's also a tiring job.\n"The school year is just starting to wind down when we start to really work," Clemons said. "But it's nice to drill and get in some practicing. I look forward to playing against my teammates."\nSophomore fullback John Pannozzo said he's been doing his best in the off-season to work out and improve. Pannozzo said his teammates have all been doing the same and are currently in great shape.\nPannozzo played last season as a blocker and receiver. The then freshman also had three touchdowns and caught 26 balls for 258 yards.\nWith 69 healthy players, junior defensive lineman Chris Beaty and junior defensive end John Lumpkin are likely to miss spring practice. The Hoosiers plan to make some serious changes this season that won't leave them with the same losing record as last year. Pannozzo said the team looks forward to starting spring football.\n"We also look forward to having a better season than last year," Pannozzo said. "This is definitely the first step"