Butler win halts losing streak

Team gives impressive performance despite lineup revision

It was an up and down weekend for the IU women's tennis team (6-7 overall, 0-2 in the Big 10), after having to switch around its lineup because junior No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles player Linda Tran was out with the flu. IU lost its first match to the No. 75 DePaul Blue Demons (10-6 overall) 5-2, but rallied for a 6-1 victory against intrastate rival Butler (4-6 overall). \nFreshman Sarah Batty, who improved to 14-12 in singles and 13-7 in doubles (with junior Martina Grimm) this season, filled in nicely at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles for Tran. Batty won all four of her matches Saturday, including an impressive win over senior Scilvia Kelemen 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (3). Coach Lin Loring said he was impressed with how Batty played in her first action out of the No. 1 spot.\n"I thought Sarah had a really nice win playing for the first time at No. 1 singles," Loring said. "With Linda out, she played tough and won against a pretty good girl."\nGrimm, who is now 17-10 in singles and 13-7 in doubles with Batty this season, replaced Batty at No. 2 singles and also moved up to No. 1 doubles. Grimm finished Saturday's matches with a record of 3-1, tying the second best mark for an IU player. Senior Karie Schlukebir, now 13-5 in singles and 1-1 in doubles with sophomore Dominika Walterova, was also 3-1 in the two matches on Saturday.\nWalterova finished 2-2 on Saturday. That brought Walterova's No. 4 singles record to 6-17 on the season, and her doubles record stands at 1-1. Sophomore Jessica Groth, an Indianapolis native, also finished 2-2.\nRounding out the Hoosier lineup was freshman Sophie Rychlik, who finished 1-3 on Saturday. Rychlik lost both of her matches at No. 5 singles, but she won at No. 3 doubles (with Groth), 8-5 against Butler. Rychlik said she believes the Hoosiers had their chances against DePaul, but just couldn't turn them into enough wins. \n"Although we lost against DePaul in the morning, it definitely could have gone the other way," Rychlik said. "The doubles were close. The team did there job against Butler."\nIU will be out of action for the next two weeks before it hosts two non-conference foes. The Hoosiers will host the University of Cincinnati Bearcats and Bowling Green on Saturday, March 15. The match against Bowling Green will begin at 9:30 a.m. while the Cincinnati match will begin at 2:30 p.m. Batty said that the time off will give the Hoosiers some much-needed time to heal.\n"(We need) to get healthy and improve all those little things in our individual games so that we can be ready for out next match," Batty said. "We have a week off this week so that will be nice, so hopefully we will all be ready to go again after that"